Reese Witherspoon Fined Following Disorderly Conduct Arrest
Reese Witherspoon pleaded no contest in an Atlanta court on Thursday, May 2 for a disorderly conduct charge which is related to her arrest in Atlanta, Georgia, last month, TMZ reported. Witherspoon, who was represented by lawyer Bruce Morris at the court, was ordered to pay a fine of $213 to settle the case.
Meanwhile, the "Mud" star's husband, Jim Toth, appeared at the court and pleaded guilty for DUI charge. However, instead of serving jail time, Toth was sentenced to 40 hours of community service and ordered to complete an alcohol education program while also placed on a 12-month probation.
"Consider yourself fortunate you didn't injure your passenger [Witherspoon] and didn't kill anyone," a judge told Toth.
A few hours before the hearing, Witherspoon appeared on "Good Morning America" to promote her new film, "Mud". In the interview with host George Stephanopoulos, Witherspoon publicly talked about the incident for the first time. She said, "It was just one of those nights - we went out to dinner and had one too many glasses of wine. We thought we were OK to drive but we definitely were not."
Witherspoon said that she and husband "are just so sorry this happened" and assured public that the incident "will absolutely never happen again." She also told the host that she even lied to the police. She continued, "I had no idea what I was thinking that night. I saw him arrest my husband and I just panicked. I even told him I was pregnant. I am not pregnant. I said all kinds of crazy things. I was so disrespectful to [the officer]."
The mother of three said that "the worst part" of the incident "was having to speak to the kids," but she and husband were honest to their kids because "we just had to tell them that when you make a mistake, you have to take responsibility."
More Reese Witherspoon News
- Priyanka Chopra Throws Her Hat Into the Ring to Be Female James Bond
- Listen to a Preview of Shawn Mendes' New Song 'Better'
- Elijah Wood Clarifies Comment on Child Sex Abuse in Hollywood, Says It's Misinterpreted
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss Confirms Someone's Getting Married in Season 7
- Anne Hathaway Throws Shade at the Kardashians, Says It's Unintentional
- Eminem Sells Bricks of His Childhood Home for 'Marshall Mathers LP' Anniversary
- Did Jennifer Lawrence Just Say She Was Under the Influence While Filming 'The Hunger Games'?
- Helen Hunt Mistaken for Jodie Foster by Starbucks Barista. Read the Funny Story