First Look at Ben Kingsley as Mazer Rackham in 'Ender's Game'
A first look at Sir Ben Kingsley's character Mazer Rackham in Gavin Hood's upcoming film "Ender's Game" has been unleashed on the web via Entertainment Weekly. The picture shows the British actor's upper half and moko-tattoed face, clearly suggesting that his character is a Maori descent.
In an interview with the site, the Mandarin depicter in "Iron Man 3" described the collaborative process that brings the half-Maori war hero to life as "alchemy." Hood, who serves behind the lens as well as writes the screenplay for the film, was said to play key role in the process besides the make-up and costume team.
"Every gesture in the tattoo carries family history, family struggles - it's your past," Kingsley explained the meaning of the tattoo. "I was so enthralled. He's in quite a contained, stylized uniform but then this wonderful face tells his warrior history."
"Ender's Game" is set in the near future where a hostile alien race attacks the Earth. In preparation for the next attack, Colonel Graff and the International Military are training only the best young children to find the future Mazer. Ender Wiggin, a shy, but strategically brilliant boy is pulled out of his school to join the elite and later to lead his fellow soldiers into an epic battle that will determine the future of Earth and save the human race.
Also starring "Harrison Ford", Hailee Steinfeld and Asa Butterfield, the sci-fi film, which will debut its first trailer on May 7, is set to hit U.S. theaters on November 1.
- James Blunt Sings Touching New Song at Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds' Memorial
- 'Orange Is the New Black' Star Samira Wiley Marries the Show's Writer Lauren Morelli
- 'Once Upon a Time' 6.15 Preview: Aladdin and Jasmine Meet Ariel in 'A Wondrous Place'
- Wishes Turn Into Nightmares in 'Wish Upon' New Trailer
- Sade Convinces Drake Not to Diss Kendrick Lamar Over a Track
- Selena Gomez Cheers on The Weeknd at Brazilian Concert
- 'Power Rangers' Future Installment May Feature Female Green Ranger
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss on the Ending: No One Can Get Happy Ending Without Some Struggle