Maria Shriver Returns to NBC as Special Anchor
Maria Shriver is heading back to NBC News, almost ten years after she exited "Dateline". The niece of United States President John F. Kennedy will serve as a "special anchor" covering "the shifting roles, emerging power and evolving needs of women in modern life."
"Welcome back to the family," said "Today" co-host Matt Lauer after Shriver broke the news on the morning show. She tweeted on the same day, "I'm excited to be going forward with @NBCNews as a special anchor."
"I've always believed that television can inspire and elevate humanity, and that's my mission with this new partnership," the ex-wife of actor and former California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger said in a press release.
"I look forward to shining a light on all areas of a woman's experience - from faith and finances, wellness and work, to relationships and the new realities of modern life - and exploring these issues in a way that brings the voices of men into these critically important conversations."
Shriver will produce and anchor prime-time reports on NBC News, CNBC, MSNBC and even NBC Sports. She will additionally be Editor at Large for women's issues across NBC's digital platforms.
Shriver was part of the NBC News family beginning from 1986. During her time serving for the network, she co-anchored "Sunday Today" from 1987 until 1990 and weekend editions of "NBC Nightly News" from 1989 until 1993, and was a contributing anchor on "Dateline". She quit her job in 2004 after her then-husband Schwarzenegger was elected as the 38th Governor of California.
The 57-year-old, who split from Schwarzenegger in 2011 following the revelation of his cheating scandal, said that she would still make her family her No. 1 priority. "Like so many women, I'm trying to craft a life that allows me to do meaningful work and keep a focus on my family, which will always be my No. 1 job," she stated.
- Watch Barden Bellas Dance in 'Pitch Perfect 3' Behind-the-Scenes Video
- James Marsden Is Under Consideration to Join 'Green Lantern Corps' as Hal Jordan
- Blake Lively 'Livid' Over Ryan Reynolds' Possible Reunion With Ex-Wife Scarlett Johansson
- The Weeknd Reunites With Selena Gomez at a Club After Running Into Ex Bella Hadid
- 'The Lost City of Z' Gets New International Trailer
- Peter Dinklage's New Red Hair May Hint at His 'Avengers: Infinity War' Role
- Future Enjoys Lavish Getaway in Dubai in New Video for 'Poppin' Tags'
- James Cameron and 'Deadpool' Director Tim Miller Team Up for New 'Terminator' Movie