'Rocky' Musical Based on Sylvester Stallone's Film Set to Open in March 2014
New Broadway show "Rocky", an adaptation of Sylvester Stallone's 1976 film of the same title, is confirmed to be performed at the Winter Garden Theater next year, with previews in February and an official opening in March. Stallone says that he cannot "be more proud or more excited" about how director Alex Timbers will bring his original screenplay to the musical.
"The story of Rocky was very much like my life at the time - starting out with nothing, having to fight for roles and recognition," says Stallone. "Alex Timbers and the entire creative team have not only honored that original impulse, but have made his story as exciting, heart-breaking, and inspiring as it was when Rocky first went the distance onscreen."
Bill Taylor of Stage Entertainment USA, which co-produces the musical with Stallone, is confident that the show will "appeal to traditional theatergoers." "I'm aware that 'Rocky' might be perceived as an odd choice for a musical," he says. "But I think what people see will not be what they are expecting."
In addition to Timbers, the production, which has not had exact dates and cast yet, will have Steven Hoggett on board to create the fight choreography. It features a book by Thomas Meehan and a score by Stephen Flaherty and Lynn Ahrens.
The Broadway show tells the American Dream story of Rocky Balboa, an uneducated but good-hearted debt collector for a loan shark in Philadelphia. Also a club fighter, he gets a shot at the world heavyweight championship when the scheduled contender breaks his hand.
The production is expected to be similar to the one in Hamburg. Taking place on November 18 last year, the show was a great success. Playing the titular character was Drew Sarich, joined by Dutch actress Wietske van Tongeren as Adrian.
- Girls' Generation Graces the Cover of W Korea for Their 10th Anniversary
- Kanye West Gives Paralyzed Fan Custom Yeezy Boots
- Beyonce and Jay-Z Hire 18 New Staff for Twin Kids
- Blac Chyna Is Starring in Nicki Minaj's New Music Video
- Ryan Seacrest Is Officially Returning to 'American Idol'
- Eight Times Chrissy Teigen Makes Us ROTFL
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle May 'Get Married Somewhere Private and Elope'
- O.J. Simpson Could Be Denied Parole After Caught Masturbating in Cell