Opry Will Hold Public Funeral for George Jones on May 2
George Jones's funeral is planned to be held at the Grand Ole Opry House in Nashville, Tennessee on Thursday, May 2. Publicist Kirt Webster said in a statement that the funeral would start at 10 A.M. and be open to the public. Webster added, "George would have wanted his fans and friends everywhere to be able to come and pay their respects along with his family."
"Thanks to George's friends, fans, and loved ones for the outpouring of love at this terrible time. I love you all," said Jones' wife, Nancy Jones. She also informed that a private visitation for family, friends, and fellow performers was set for Wednesday evening, May 1. In lieu of flowers, the family asked that contributions be made to the Grand Ole Opry Trust Fund or the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum.
Jones had been a member of the Grand Ole Opry since 1956. On Saturday and Sunday, April 27 and 28, singers like Brad Paisley, Mel Tillis, Montgomery Gentry and Jason Crabb paid tribute to Jones by singing his songs and sharing their memories of him.
The country legend passed away at the age of 81 on Friday, April 26 at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. The country legend died after being hospitalized since April 18 for a fever and irregular blood pressure.
- Blake Shelton and Debra Messing Have Twitter Spat Over Donald Trump
- Watch Orlando Bloom Go Fanboy Over Girlfriend Katy Perry at the DNC
- Adele Brings Her Drag Impersonator Onstage During Seattle Show
- Mary J. Blige Confirms She's Divorcing Husband Kendu Isaacs After 12 Years of Marriage
- 'New Girl' Really Loves Megan Fox, Brings Her Back for Major Season 6 Arc
- 'Suicide Squad' Confirms Another DC Superhero's Appearance
- Kim Kardashian Is Unrecognizable in These TBT Photos From the 2008 Teen Choice Awards
- Watch Katy Perry Rock the DNC With 'Rise' and 'Roar'