Johnny Depp and Meryl Streep in Talks to Duet in 'Into the Woods'
Walt Disney Pictures' upcoming project "Into the Woods" might feature the most remarkable leads ever paired up in Hollywood. The studio is reportedly in negotiations with Johnny Depp and Meryl Streep to have them on board its adaptation of Stephen Sondheim's Broadway hit of the same name.
The story of the musical centers on a childless baker and his wife who attempt to lift a family curse by journeying into the woods to confront the witch that put the spell on them. Along the way, they will encounter classic fairytale characters, including Rapunzel and Cinderella. Depp is expected to nab the role of the baker, while Streep is to be featured as the evil witch.
If all deals are finally sealed, this will mark the second Stephen Sondheim musical Depp stars in after previously leading 2007's "Sweeney Todd", which co-starred Helena Bonham Carter. Additionally, the film will reunite Depp with his "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" director Rob Marshall.
The musical currently has no start date yet. David Krane, who served as composer in 2002's "Chicago", will arrange the music for the film, which will use Sondheim's original music. James Lapine, meanwhile, is on board to pen the script for the John DeLuca-produced film.
Depp's upcoming film "The Lone Ranger" will hit U.S. theaters on July 3, while Streep will next be seen as Violet Weston in "August: Osage County", which will open in theaters across the nation on November 8.
- P. Diddy Throws Star-Studded Birthday Party for Girlfriend Cassie
- Kim Kardashian Says Kendall Jenner Is Banned by Uber, the Company Responds
- J Balvin Survives Plane Crash in Bahamas
- Luke Cage Reveals the Downside of Being Bulletproof in First Clip
- Justin Bieber and Sofia Richie Jet Off for Romantic Getaway Ahead of MTV VMAs
- Britney Spears Calls 'Carpool Karaoke' With James Corden 'Awkward'
- Taylor Swift Naked Wax Figure Displayed at Kanye West's 'Famous' Art Exhibit
- Tom Hiddleston's Instagram Gets Hacked