Billy Currington's NASCAR Pre-Race Act Gets Canceled Following His Indictment
The president of Charlotte Motor Speedway, Marcus Smith, announced on Friday, April 26 that Josh Turner would replace Billy Currington to perform at a pre-race concert for the NASCAR Sprint All-Star Race on May 18. "Due to Currington's recent indictment, we elected to change our act for the NASCAR Sprint All-Star Race," said Marcus.
Currington, who was indicted on charges of terroristic threats and abuse of an elderly person, turned himself in to police in Georgia on Thursday afternoon, April 25. County district attorney's spokesman Daniel Baxter confirmed the news and said that the country singer was released a few hours later after posting a $27,700 bond.
Currington's charges stemmed from an altercation between him and a 70-year-old tour boat captain, Charles Ferrelle, on April 15. According to police, Ferrelle was on his boat, carrying two passengers near a dock owned by Currington when the singer suddenly yelled at him. Currington later got in his own boat and followed Ferrelle to another dock and reportedly threatened to "f**k him up and kill him."
Currington's representative didn't immediately respond to the news, but the 39-year-old singer took to Twitter on April 24 to thank fans for their support. He wrote, "Hey guys, I wanted to thank everyone for the huge amount of support that I have received already. Unfortunately, I can't comment on this situation as this is an ongoing legal matter. It means a lot to me to have your support during this time."
- Mick Jagger, 73, Welcomes Baby Boy With 30-Year-Old Girlfriend Melanie Hamrick
- Watch 'Carpool Karaoke' With Madonna and Find Out Juicy Detail of Her Night Out With Michael Jackson
- Major Lazer Mashes Up Biggest Hits of the Year for YouTube Rewind 2016 Video
- John Cena Promises to Destroy 'Saturday Night Live' in New Promo
- Katy Perry Joins Jennifer Aniston at 'Office Christmas Party' L.A. Premiere
- Kardashian Sisters Try to Block Blac Chyna From Trademarking Their Family Name. How She Reacts?
- Nick Cannon Hits Back at Dane Cook Who Shamed Him for Wearing Turban
- Johnny Depp Dubbed Hollywood's Most Overpaid Actor Again by Forbes