Lauryn Hill Sets the Record Straight on Sony Deal
Grammy Award-winning singer Lauryn Hill has broken her silence following reports that she inked a new mega deal with recording giant Sony Music to pay her tax liabilities and escape prison time for tax evasion. In a lengthy letter posted April 25 on her Tumblr page, the 37-year-old R'n'B star confirmed she signed the deal but emphasized it's more for expressing her creativity rather than just simply to avoid sentencing.
"It took years for me to get out of the 'parasitic' dynamic of my youth, and into a deal that better reflects my true contribution as an artist, and (purportedly) gives me the control necessary to create a paradigm suitable for my needs," she claimed. The deal, according to Hill, will launch a new label on which her new music will be released, which she has already jumpstarted and is currently working on.
"I have been working towards this for a long time, not just because of my current legal situation, but because I am an artist, I love to create, and I need the proper platform to do so," she added. Hill somewhat acknowledged that the new agreement with Sony would definitely help her get out of her present legal woes, but not without stressing that the timing was just fortunate and that the deal had been a long time coming.
She also called the "$1 million for 5 songs" arrangement inaccurate, saying it's "only a portion of the overall deal." The former The Fugees frontwoman went on to put modesty aside and reminded fans that her past work had sold over 50 million copies that had brought in a tremendous amount of money for her record label.
- Another Dig at Zayn Malik? Listen to Little Mix's Catchy New Track 'You Gotta Not'
- Cuteness Overload! Chrissy Teigen Dresses Daughter Luna as Banana, Minnie Mouse and Others
- Daisy Ridley Responds to 'Sexist' Claims That Rey Is Mary Sue in 'The Force Awakens'
- Amber Heard Reportedly Dating a Musician After Johnny Depp Split. Who's Her New Man?
- NBC Announces Next Live Musical 'Bye Bye Birdie' Starring Jennifer Lopez
- Iggy Azalea's Former Fiance Nick Young Welcomes Baby No. 2 With His Other Ex
- Felicity Jones Leads the Rebel Alliance in New 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story' Pic
- Is Mariah Carey's 'Close Relationship' With a Male Dancer to Blame for James Packer Split?