Country Legend George Jones Dies at 81, Celebrities React
George Jones, one of the greatest country music musicians who is known for his emotional performances, passed away at Vanderbilt University Medical Center on Friday, April 26, at the age of 81. According to his spokesperson, Jones was admitted to the hospital on Thursday, April 18, because he had fever and irregular blood pressure. Jones is survived by his wife Nancy Jones, sister Helen Scroggins, children, grandchildren, nieces and nephews.
Celebrities and musicians took to Twitter to mourn the death of the "Good Year for the Roses" singer. Carrie Underwood tweeted, "Happy memory of me and George. You may have left us, but your music and your legacy never will. #Legend," and attached a photo of her with Jones sitting on a motorcycle. Billy Ray Cyrus wrote, "I'm stunned and deeply saddened to learn of the passing of my good friend George Jones.The very definition of a legend. Thoughts and prayers."
Dolly Parton wrote on Twitter, "My heart is absolutely broken. George Jones was my all time favorite singer and one of my favorite people in the world. My heart goes out to Nancy and the rest of his family." Reba McEntire tweeted, "My prayers go out to Nancy Jones today. Her partner and husband George Jones passed this morning. We'll miss George very much. RIP."
Throughout his career, Jones had produced numerous hits such as "White Lightning", "She Thinks I Still Care" and "He Stopped Loving Her Today." He was indicted into Country Music Hall of Fame in 1992, became a Kennedy Center Honoree in 2008, and received a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award in 2012. Garth Brooks, George Strait and Parton are among Jones' admirers.
According to Keith Richards, Jones was "a national treasure." In addition, Frank Sinatra admitted that Jones was "the second greatest singer in America" after himself. Brooks once praised Jones, "With George Jones, I think it started out as a gift from God and then they built a body around it because anybody who has ever wanted to sing country music wants to sound like George Jones."
- Morgan Freeman Eyed to Join Disney's New 'Nutcracker' Film
- Get Your First Look at Tyler Hoechlin as Clark Kent on 'Supergirl'
- Taika Waititi Hints at Thanos' Connection to 'Thor: Ragnarok' in New Photo
- Lindsey Vonn Accidentally Flashes Underwear on the Red Carpet
- Rihanna Swarmed by Her Fans in 'Goodnight Gotham' Music Video
- Tony Parker Welcomes Second Child With Wife Axelle Francine
- Candice Swanepoel Bares Baby Bump While Posing Completely Naked in This Photo
- 'Sesame Street' Reconsiders Layoffs After Public Outcry, Actor Says