Harvard Honors Matt Damon With Art Medal
Harvard dropout Matt Damon returned to the prestigious university on Thursday, April 25 to receive the 2013 Harvard Arts Medal. The 42-year-old actor, who attended the university to study English before dropped out to pursue his acting career, was honored with the medal for his contribution to the arts.
Along with wife Luciana, Damon arrived in the university for the ceremony which was hosted by actor and former Harvard student John Lithgow. During the event, the actor who won an Oscar with best pal Ben Affleck for their work penning the script of "The Good Will Hunting" also discussed his school days and his career with audience.
Addressing Damon's talent as an actor, Harvard president Drew Faust praised him, "He is, as director Gus Van Sant recently put it, 'a local kid risen to become a global star, an everyman who is also exceptional, a person we all relate to, even as we aspire to emulate him.' "
"I'm really proud to come from here," Damon told the audience. "Of all the accolades and movies and all that stuff, whenever someone says my name, they say the name of this university too, and that means a lot to me. I've always tried to live my life in a way that honored that and a way that deserved that."
Damon's prize-giving came just a day after it was announced that Affleck was set to receive an honorary doctorate degree from Brown University. The husband of actress Jennifer Garner will be at the university in Providence, Rhode Island for the ceremony next May 26.
- Bye 'KUWTK'! Kim Kardashian Is Focusing on Her New Show 'Glam Masters'
- Report: Kourtney Kardashian and Younes Bendjima Are Getting Serious
- Selena Gomez and The Weeknd Are Spotted on Movie Date in Chicago
- Mac Miller Wants to Cancel His Tour to Be by Ariana Grande's Side After Concert Bombing
- 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' New Vanity Fair Covers Offer New Look at Cast Members
- Jennifer Lopez Shares Sweet Picture With Alex Rodriguez, Dubs Him Her Man Crush
- Jimmy Kimmel Predicts Rachel Lindsay's 'The Bachelorette' Final 3
- Rain and Kim Tae Hee Are Expecting Their First Child