Harvard Honors Matt Damon With Art Medal
Harvard dropout Matt Damon returned to the prestigious university on Thursday, April 25 to receive the 2013 Harvard Arts Medal. The 42-year-old actor, who attended the university to study English before dropped out to pursue his acting career, was honored with the medal for his contribution to the arts.
Along with wife Luciana, Damon arrived in the university for the ceremony which was hosted by actor and former Harvard student John Lithgow. During the event, the actor who won an Oscar with best pal Ben Affleck for their work penning the script of "The Good Will Hunting" also discussed his school days and his career with audience.
Addressing Damon's talent as an actor, Harvard president Drew Faust praised him, "He is, as director Gus Van Sant recently put it, 'a local kid risen to become a global star, an everyman who is also exceptional, a person we all relate to, even as we aspire to emulate him.' "
"I'm really proud to come from here," Damon told the audience. "Of all the accolades and movies and all that stuff, whenever someone says my name, they say the name of this university too, and that means a lot to me. I've always tried to live my life in a way that honored that and a way that deserved that."
Damon's prize-giving came just a day after it was announced that Affleck was set to receive an honorary doctorate degree from Brown University. The husband of actress Jennifer Garner will be at the university in Providence, Rhode Island for the ceremony next May 26.
More Matt Damon News
- Lindsay Lohan Is Facing Bankruptcy After Failing to Pay Rent on $4.2M London Flat
- Kanye West Shares Emotional Throwback Video of Kim Kardashian on Her 36th Birthday
- Anne Hathaway Admits She Faked Happiness During Her 2013 Oscar Win
- 'Real Housewives of Miami' Star Larsa Splits From Husband Scottie Pippen Amid Future Romance Rumor
- Former Bachelorette Desiree Hartsock Gives Birth to Baby Boy
- Jennifer Lawrence to Lead Zelda Fitzgerald Biopic
- Kim Kardashian's Family Shares Throwbacks and Birthday Wishes as She Turns 36
- Chris Pratt to Return to TV as Guest Star on His Wife Anna Faris' 'Mom'