Harvard Honors Matt Damon With Art Medal
Harvard dropout Matt Damon returned to the prestigious university on Thursday, April 25 to receive the 2013 Harvard Arts Medal. The 42-year-old actor, who attended the university to study English before dropped out to pursue his acting career, was honored with the medal for his contribution to the arts.
Along with wife Luciana, Damon arrived in the university for the ceremony which was hosted by actor and former Harvard student John Lithgow. During the event, the actor who won an Oscar with best pal Ben Affleck for their work penning the script of "The Good Will Hunting" also discussed his school days and his career with audience.
Addressing Damon's talent as an actor, Harvard president Drew Faust praised him, "He is, as director Gus Van Sant recently put it, 'a local kid risen to become a global star, an everyman who is also exceptional, a person we all relate to, even as we aspire to emulate him.' "
"I'm really proud to come from here," Damon told the audience. "Of all the accolades and movies and all that stuff, whenever someone says my name, they say the name of this university too, and that means a lot to me. I've always tried to live my life in a way that honored that and a way that deserved that."
Damon's prize-giving came just a day after it was announced that Affleck was set to receive an honorary doctorate degree from Brown University. The husband of actress Jennifer Garner will be at the university in Providence, Rhode Island for the ceremony next May 26.
More Matt Damon News
- Priyanka Chopra Throws Her Hat Into the Ring to Be Female James Bond
- Listen to a Preview of Shawn Mendes' New Song 'Better'
- Elijah Wood Clarifies Comment on Child Sex Abuse in Hollywood, Says It's Misinterpreted
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss Confirms Someone's Getting Married in Season 7
- Anne Hathaway Throws Shade at the Kardashians, Says It's Unintentional
- Eminem Sells Bricks of His Childhood Home for 'Marshall Mathers LP' Anniversary
- Did Jennifer Lawrence Just Say She Was Under the Influence While Filming 'The Hunger Games'?
- Helen Hunt Mistaken for Jodie Foster by Starbucks Barista. Read the Funny Story