'Senna' Director to Film Amy Winehouse Documentary
Best known for his 2010 documentary film "Senna", BAFTA Award-winning director Asif Kapadia will be on board another documentary project, which features a high-profile musician. The British filmmaker is set to direct a film based on late singer Amy Winehouse's life and death with James Gay-Rees to produce it.
In a joint statement with Gay-Rees, Kapadia said, "Amy was a once-in-a-generation talent. She wrote and sung from the heart." Radiating charisma and inner beauty, the "Back to Black" singer, who died at the age of 27 from accidental alcohol poisoning, had caught "everyone...under her spell."
"But tragically, Amy seemed to fall apart under the relentless media attention, her troubled relationships, her global success and precarious lifestyle," Kapadia continued. "As a society we celebrated her huge success but then we were quick to judge her failings when it suited us."
As promised, the documentary will be "an incredibly modern, emotional and relevant film that has the power to capture the zeitgeist and shine a light on the world we live in, in a way that very few films can."
Having been approached with many documentary proposals, the deceased singer's parents Mitch and Janice admitted that Kapadia and Gay-Rees came up with a compelling vision of their daughter. They believed Kapadia's version would "look at Amy's story sensitively, honestly and without sensationalizing her."
The untitled Amy Winehouse documentary is expected to be shown at Cannes Film Festival in May.
More Amy News
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival