'Divergent' First Look: Shailene Woodley Becomes Knife-Throwing Target
The first look at Shailene Woodley as Beatrice "Tris" Prior in Neil Burger's upcoming film "Divergent" has been unveiled via Entertainment Weekly. In the newly-released image, Tris shows no fear even though she becomes a human target for knife throwers.
Based on Veronica Roth's best-selling novel of the same name, "Divergent" takes place in a near-future Chicago. The story is set in a dystopian future where society is divided up into five factions based on their personalities. Woodley's Tris learns that she doesn't belong in any of them, which are called Divergents.
"After I read the book, I was really profoundly moved, and it's really metaphorical for things that are going on today, specifically things that I'm passionate about and things that I want to make public and things that I want to educate people on," Woodley told MTV News.
She added, "So I think it's a really great platform, not only artistically but also from a human level just to expose these kind of messy, nasty things that are going on in our country."
Summit Entertainment bought the rights to film an adaptation of the novel. In addition to Woodley, the cast ensemble includes Kate Winslet, Maggie Q, Jai Courtney, Miles Teller, Tony Goldwyn and Ansel Elgort. It is slated to hit U.S. theaters on March 21, 2014.
- Kim Kardashian on Butt Pads Allegations: 'I Don't Need Them'
- Lil' Kim Cancels Performance at Essence Festival
- Tyga Romances Blonde Beauty in '1 of 1' Music Video
- David Foster's Daughters: Yolanda Hadid Is Not Dying If She Continues to Be on Reality Show
- Alexander Skarsgard Laughs Off Wedding Plan Rumor
- Judi Dench Gets Her First Tattoo at Her 81st Birthday
- Keri Russell Reveals Her Baby's Gender and Name
- Debby Ryan Gets Probation After Pleading No Contest to DUI