Neil Diamond's 'Sweet Caroline' Sales Shoot Up After Boston Marathon Bombings
Following the harrowing Boston Marathon bombing incident that took place on April 15, Neil Diamond's "Sweet Caroline" got a 597% increase in sales, selling 19,000 copies last week from the 2,800 it sold the week prior. The 1969 classic addressed by the 72-year-old musician to Caroline Kennedy makes no mention of Boston anywhere in the song but it was adopted by the Boston Red Sox team and gets played regularly at the Fenway Park, the home ballpark of the famous baseball club.
In the team's first home game since the bombings, Diamond dropped by Fenway Park on Saturday to lead the crowd to sing "Sweet Caroline". Since the attack, Diamond has also been motivated to write new material inspired by the tragedy.
"I'm writing now and obviously affected by this situation in Boston, so I'm writing about it just to express myself," the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee revealed. "It's like an infestation, and I'm writing about the general situation, not just about this bombing in Boston, but what we're going through with all of these tragedies - shootings and so on and so forth."
Other ball clubs like the New York Yankees, Los Angeles Dodgers, Toronto Raptors and other sports teams have also played "Sweet Caroline" at their games following the bombings to pay respect to the victims of the devastating act and their families.
- Cuba Gooding Jr. Generates Online Outrage After Lifting Up Sarah Paulson's Skirt at PaleyFest
- New Footage of 'Blade Runner 2049' Is Screened at CinemaCon
- Nina Agdal Flaunts Her Enviable Figure in Skimpy Bikinis for New Swimwear Campaign
- Matthew Morrison Joins 'Grey's Anatomy' in Mystery Role. Get the First Look
- Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey Confront Each Other in 'The Dark Tower' First Footage
- Kris Jenner's 'Desperate to Hook Up' With O.J. Simpson. What About Toy Boy Corey Gamble?
- The Weeknd Secretly Serenades Selena Gomez at Brazilian Concert Backstage
- 'Arrow': Katie Cassidy Returns for Season 6 as Series Regular With a Twist