Lana Del Rey Releases 'Young and Beautiful' From 'The Great Gatsby'
Lana Del Rey's name may be overshadowed by bigger celebrities in the tracklist of "The Great Gatsby" soundtrack, particularly by top diva Beyonce Knowles and even its executive producer, rap mogul Jay-Z, but the indie pop star's contribution to the compilation entitled "Young and Beautiful" is something definitely not to be dismissed. The track debuted via SoundCloud following the release of the first single "Over the Love" recorded by indie rockers Florence and the Machine.
"Will you still love me when I'm no longer young and beautiful?" the 26-year-old singer asks in the song co-written by Del Rey herself with songwriter Rick Nowels. With guidance from the film's director Baz Luhrmann, the composition captures the insecurities depicted in the F. Scott Fitzgerald classic novel on which the movie is based.
Del Rey's sweeping vocals lend the deep-seethed desperation hidden between the lyrics, which were written from the perspective of Gatsby's lifelong crush, Daisy Buchanan, played in the film by actress Carey Mulligan, as it is similarly done in "Over the Love". The dreamy strings and percussions that cradle Del Rey's icy-smooth vocals make for another potential hit for the powerhouse soundtrack.
The four-minute song appears along with the rest of the 12 tracks in the album's standard edition and 14 tracks in its deluxe edition, which will be available in stores on May 7, just a few days before the actual movie hits U.S. theaters on May 10. The movie will have its premiere at the Cannes Film Festival's opening night on May 15.
More Lana Del Rey News
- 'Supernatural' Casts David Haydn-Jones as a Mysterious Character
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Releases Tribute Rap for 'The West Wing'
- Kim Kardashian, Kylie and Kendall Jenner Dolled Up for 'Ocean's Eight' Cameo Filming
- Amanda Seyfried Dishes on Upcoming Low-Key Wedding to Thomas Sadoski
- Harley Quinn Might Appear on 'Gotham' Earlier Than Expected
- Soulja Boy Takes a Shot at Chris Brown, 50 Cent, Mike Tyson on New Song 'Stop Playing with Me'
- Is Tina Fey Making 'Mean Girls 2' Without Lindsay Lohan?
- Lady GaGa Builds a Dance Floor in Her Backyard, Shares Crazy Idea for Super Bowl Performance