Reese Witherspoon Is 'Very Sorry' for Her Behavior When Husband Was Arrested
Following her bad behavior when her husband, James Toth, was arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol in Atlanta on Friday morning, April 19, Reese Witherspoon released a statement on Sunday, April 21 to apologize. The 37-year-old actress who was charged for disorderly conduct felt "very sorry" for disobeying the officer.
"I clearly had one drink too many and I am deeply embarrassed about the things I said," Witherspoon said. "It was definitely a scary situation and I was frightened for my husband, but that is no excuse. I was disrespectful to the officer who was just doing his job. I have nothing but respect for the police and I'm very sorry for my behavior."
However, Witherspoon didn't let the case stopped her from doing her job. The actress hit the red carpet of her new film "Mud" premiere in New York on Sunday. Wearing a black Yves Saint Laurent dress with matching heels, she stopped to greet reporters and pose with her co-star, Matthew McConaughey, but declined to comment on or answer any question about the arrest.
According to Variety, on Friday, Toth and Witherspoon's car was stopped by a police officer after it failed to stay in its lane. Toth, who drove the car, was arrested and charged for DUI, while Witherspoon was handcuffed for disobeying the officer's instruction to stay inside the car.
"I told Mrs. Witherspoon to stay in the vehicle and she sat back in the vehicle," said the officer. "I had to tell Mrs. Witherspoon several times to get back into the vehicle before she did so. I told Mrs. Witherspoon that I would arrest her the next time she got out of the vehicle."
Witherspoon didn't take the advice. "Mrs. Witherspoon began to hang out the window and say that she did not believe that I was a real police officer...," the officer continued. "I put my hands on Mrs. Witherspoon's arms to arrest her. Mrs. Witherspoon was resistant but I was able to put handcuffs on her without incident due to Mr. Toth calming her down."
The pair were taken to a jail in Atlanta and were released a few hours later.
More Reese Witherspoon News
- Justin Timberlake Is One Grumpy Doll in First 'Trolls' Trailer
- Stephanie March Reveals Botched Boob Job Amid 2014 Bobby Flay Marriage Trouble
- Peta Murgatroyd Confirms She's Pregnant With Maksim Chmerkovskiy's Baby
- Drew Barrymore in Talks to Host New Talk Show
- Kanye West Signs New Partnership With Adidas to Expand Yeezy Brand
- Dennis Quaid's Wife Kimberly Files for Divorce for Second Time
- Chris Brown Rants on Instagram After Falling Out with Manager and Publicist
- Calvin Harris Won't Date Another Celebrity Thanks to 'Narcissist' Taylor Swift