Reese Witherspoon Is 'Very Sorry' for Her Behavior When Husband Was Arrested
Following her bad behavior when her husband, James Toth, was arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol in Atlanta on Friday morning, April 19, Reese Witherspoon released a statement on Sunday, April 21 to apologize. The 37-year-old actress who was charged for disorderly conduct felt "very sorry" for disobeying the officer.
"I clearly had one drink too many and I am deeply embarrassed about the things I said," Witherspoon said. "It was definitely a scary situation and I was frightened for my husband, but that is no excuse. I was disrespectful to the officer who was just doing his job. I have nothing but respect for the police and I'm very sorry for my behavior."
However, Witherspoon didn't let the case stopped her from doing her job. The actress hit the red carpet of her new film "Mud" premiere in New York on Sunday. Wearing a black Yves Saint Laurent dress with matching heels, she stopped to greet reporters and pose with her co-star, Matthew McConaughey, but declined to comment on or answer any question about the arrest.
According to Variety, on Friday, Toth and Witherspoon's car was stopped by a police officer after it failed to stay in its lane. Toth, who drove the car, was arrested and charged for DUI, while Witherspoon was handcuffed for disobeying the officer's instruction to stay inside the car.
"I told Mrs. Witherspoon to stay in the vehicle and she sat back in the vehicle," said the officer. "I had to tell Mrs. Witherspoon several times to get back into the vehicle before she did so. I told Mrs. Witherspoon that I would arrest her the next time she got out of the vehicle."
Witherspoon didn't take the advice. "Mrs. Witherspoon began to hang out the window and say that she did not believe that I was a real police officer...," the officer continued. "I put my hands on Mrs. Witherspoon's arms to arrest her. Mrs. Witherspoon was resistant but I was able to put handcuffs on her without incident due to Mr. Toth calming her down."
The pair were taken to a jail in Atlanta and were released a few hours later.
- Katt Williams Arrested for Allegedly Assaulting a Woman
- Comic-Con: 'Sherlock' Season 4 Trailer Teases the Demons Within, Star Says It's the Darkest Season
- Moving on? Iggy Azalea Spotted Cozying Up to French Montana at Las Vegas Club
- Lil Wayne Abruptly Walks Off Stage at Marijuana Festival After Just 10 Minutes
- Despite Chipped Tooth and Skin Rash, Kim Kardashian Has Lots of Fun at Las Vegas Party
- Comic-Con: Brie Larson Officially Named Captain Marvel
- Comic-Con: 'The Vampire Diaries' Announced to End With Season 8. How Fans React?
- After Breaking Down on Stage, Selena Gomez Posts Cryptic Message on Instagram