Reese Witherspoon Charged With Disorderly Conduct as Husband Was Booked for DUI
Reese Witherspoon and husband Jim Toth were briefly put in custody for disorderly conduct and DUI respectively on Friday morning, April 19, in Atlanta. Toth, who was driving a silver 2013 Ford Focus, was ordered to pull over because the car waved across double line. The police asked him to undergo a sobriety test, while Witherspoon was instructed to stay in the car.
According to Variety, Witherspoon felt agitated when her husband was being booked. Later, the police handcuffed her after she disobeyed the police's instruction to stay inside the vehicle. The police reported, "Mrs. Witherspoon began to hang out the window and say that she did not believe that I was a real police officer. I told Mrs. Witherspoon to sit on her butt and be quiet." The actress reportedly fired back, saying "that she was a 'US citizen' and that she was allowed to 'stand on American ground.' "
The "This Means War" actress was also said playing her celebrity card by saying, "Do you know my name? Right now, you're about to find out who I am." However, a source later reported that the actress denied saying such thing. The source told E! News that when Witherspoon was handcuffed, she only said, "Don't you need to know my name?" The source added, "She was being protective of her husband and was fearful of the situation."
Witherspoon's agency and publicist declined to comment on the arrest. A court appearance is scheduled for Monday, April 22, but both Witherspoon and Toth are not expected to be present. Their lawyer probably will request the judge to postpone the court date, because Witherspoon is in New York City for the premiere of her new movie "Mud".
- Courteney Cox Regrets Having Plastic Surgery
- 'Jack Ryan' Series to Tackle ISIS in Season 1, John Krasinski Reveals
- Jennifer Lopez and Casper Smart Break Up Again!
- 'Nashville' Season 5 Gets Premiere Date at CMT
- Doug Liman Abandons 'Gambit' Movie, Will Now Direct 'Justice League Dark'
- Kylie Jenner Bounces Back After Suffering From Food Poisoning
- AFI Cancels 'Birth of a Nation' Screening Amid Nate Parker Rape Trial Controversy
- Britney Spears Reveals She 'Almost Drowned' in Hawaii