'Oblivion' Grabs Top Spot at the Box Office
After ruling the international box office with $60.4 million, Tom Cruise's "Oblivion" continues its solid performance by rocketing to the top spot in its debut at the domestic box office. Despite a B- CinemaScore, the Universal sci-fi film takes in $37 million to win over last week's conqueror "42", which debuted to $27.5 million.
As the only newcomer debuting nationwide, "Oblivion" sees no competition from other new films, which are limited releases, including David Boyd's "Home Run and Michael D. Olmos' "Filly Brown". Despite the recent manhunt drama in Boston, the Joseph Kosinski film is still able to attract and lure people into going to theaters. "Escapism will always win out over reality," says Tim Brody, an analyst for Box Office Prophets.
The Jackie Robinson film "42" follows in the second place by earning $17.7 million. Receiving an A+ CinemaScore, the Chadwick Boseman-starring film is still expected to hold up well at the box office.
Staying strong in the third position is the DreamWorks comedy "The Croods". The film, which has recently been confirmed to get a sequel treatment from the studio, continues to perform well by bagging $9.2 million.
Last week's No. 2 "Scary Movie 5" falls to the fourth place as it earns $6.1 million, dropping an expected 55% in weekend two. Meanwhile, John M. Chu's "G.I. Joe: Retaliation" rounds up the top five with $5.8 million.
- "Oblivion" - $37 million
- "42" - $17.7 million
- "The Croods" - $9.2 million
- "Scary Movie 5" - $6.1 million
- "G.I. Joe: Retaliation" - $5.8 million
- "The Place Beyond the Pines" - $4.9 million
- "Olympus Has Fallen" - $4.5 million
- "Evil Dead" - $4.1 million
- "Jurassic Park" - $4 million
- "Oz: The Great and Powerful" - $3 million
- Gigi Hadid's Family Wants Her to Dump Zayn Malik Because of This
- Is Destiny's Child Reunion Happening? Here's What Kelly Rowland Says
- Kim Kardashian's Sex Tape Turned Into Virtual Reality Experience
- 'Game of Thrones' Set Photos: Jon Snow Reunites With an Old Friend and It's Doesn't Look Friendly
- Jennifer Lawrence Was 'Stressed Out' When Dating Chris Martin, Is Happier With Darren Aronofsky
- Blake Lively Celebrates Ryan Reynolds' 40th Birthday Amid Physical Abuse Allegations
- Justin Bieber Extends 'Purpose World Tour' After Storming Off Stage Mid-Performance
- Ice Cube and 'Hamilton' Helmer Team Up for 'Oliver Twist' Musical at Disney