Daft Punk's New Single 'Get Lucky' Breaks Spotify Records
Daft Punk's new music created a buzz as soon as it was released at 12:01 A.M. ET on Friday, April 19. "Get Lucky", the lead single off the electronic music duo's fourth album "Random Access Memories" due May 21, set a record on Spotify for the biggest streaming day for a single track on Friday in the U.S. and the United Kingdom. Spotify wouldn't release the number of streams.
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis' hit "Thrift Shop" previously held the record for most streams in a day in the U.S. In the United Kingdom, the record previously belonged to British band Bastille with the song "Pompeii".
The track, which features Pharrell Williams in the vocals and Nile Rodgers of Chic in the guitar, has also already topped the U.K. and French iTunes charts. In the U.S iTunes chart, the song currently sits on No. 3, behind Pink's "Just Give Me a Reason" and Macklemore & Ryan Lewis' "Can't Hold Us".
After "Get Lucky" was released digitally, Pharrell Williams performed the song live for the first time at HTC One launch event on Friday. Singing it not just once but three times, the rapper said, "Man these guys that made this record, they're like so far beyond their time. I'm honored to know those guys, those robots. Those guys we have a lot of incredible history together. So when they called me over the summer, I just remembered thinking one thing... Try to get lucky right?"
The enthusiasm shown by fans didn't stop there as Daft Punk was expected to show up at Coachella. The band was rumored to join Phoenix onstage Saturday night, but it was R&B star R. Kelly who made appearance instead. Despite their absence at the fest this year, Daft Punk became the second most talked-about act on the second and final weekend with total Coachella-related tweet volume of 9,719, according to MusicMetric.
Pharrell Williams performs Daft Punk's "Get Lucky" at HTC One launch event:
More Daft Punk News
- Nathan Keyes to Play Justin Timberlake in Lifetime's Britney Spears Biopic
- Brad Pitt Voluntarily Tested for Drug and Alcohol Amid Child Abuse Allegation
- 'SNL' Finds Its New Donald Trump in Alec Baldwin After Taran Killam's Exit
- Madonna Shares Nude Pic as She Joins Katy Perry to Vote Naked
- The Weeknd Kills His Old Self in 'Starboy' Music Video
- Miley Cyrus Calls Out Disney, Says She Was Underpaid on 'Hannah Montana'
- Monsters and War Unleashed in New 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' Trailer
- Video: Kim Kardashian Ambushed by Gigi Hadid's Attacker in Paris