'Mamma Mia!' Musical Moves From Winter Garden Theater
After having been performed in the Winter Garden Theater since 2001, long-running Broadway show "Mamma Mia!" will finally bid the theater adieu. Creator and producer Judy Craymer has announced that the musical will be relocated to new home the Broadhurst theater, which is six blocks away from the Winter Garden, in late 2013. Both theaters are run by The Shubert Organization.
"I'm thrilled that we have this opportunity to move 'Mamma Mia!' to the Broadhurst Theatre in the heart of Times Square. This is the perfect timing!" Craymer said. "I'm thrilled that The Shubert Organization has created this timely opportunity, which will allow us to present 'Mamma Mia!' to delight audiences on Broadway for many years to come."
It is reported that the move is meant to give room for new musical "Rocky" which is expected to open at the Winter Garden next spring. " 'Mamma Mia!' is very important show to us and we expect the production to keep playing at the Broadhurst Theatre for a very long time," said Philip J. Smith and Robert E. Wankel, co-CEOs of The Shubert Organization.
"Mamma Mia!" is the 10th longest-running Broadway show and has been seen by more than 50 million people worldwide. It features Swedish band ABBA's songs, including "The Winner Takes It All", "Super Trouper", "Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!" and "Take a Chance on Me."
The musical tells the story of a young woman who plans to find her birth father before her wedding day. The cast ensemble includes Judy McLane as single mom Donna Sheridan and Christy Altomare as Sophie. Playing the possible fathers of Sophie are Aaron Lazar, Daniel Cooney, and Graham Rowat.
More Mamma Mia! News
- Madonna Is 'Getting Serious' With Her New Toy Boy
- Is Angelina Jolie Adopting More Children Following Brad Pitt Divorce?
- Is Kim Kardashian Exiting 'KUWTK' for Politics?
- Rita Ora Releases New Single 'Your Song'
- Beyonce Demands a Silent Birth
- 'Teen Mom' Star Amber Portwood Confirms Sex Tape Negotiations
- Kourtney Kardashian Bares Butt and Sideboob in Another Yacht Date With Younes Bendjima
- NBC Pushes Jennifer Lopez's 'Bye Bye Birdie Live!' to 2018