'Mamma Mia!' Musical Moves From Winter Garden Theater
After having been performed in the Winter Garden Theater since 2001, long-running Broadway show "Mamma Mia!" will finally bid the theater adieu. Creator and producer Judy Craymer has announced that the musical will be relocated to new home the Broadhurst theater, which is six blocks away from the Winter Garden, in late 2013. Both theaters are run by The Shubert Organization.
"I'm thrilled that we have this opportunity to move 'Mamma Mia!' to the Broadhurst Theatre in the heart of Times Square. This is the perfect timing!" Craymer said. "I'm thrilled that The Shubert Organization has created this timely opportunity, which will allow us to present 'Mamma Mia!' to delight audiences on Broadway for many years to come."
It is reported that the move is meant to give room for new musical "Rocky" which is expected to open at the Winter Garden next spring. " 'Mamma Mia!' is very important show to us and we expect the production to keep playing at the Broadhurst Theatre for a very long time," said Philip J. Smith and Robert E. Wankel, co-CEOs of The Shubert Organization.
"Mamma Mia!" is the 10th longest-running Broadway show and has been seen by more than 50 million people worldwide. It features Swedish band ABBA's songs, including "The Winner Takes It All", "Super Trouper", "Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!" and "Take a Chance on Me."
The musical tells the story of a young woman who plans to find her birth father before her wedding day. The cast ensemble includes Judy McLane as single mom Donna Sheridan and Christy Altomare as Sophie. Playing the possible fathers of Sophie are Aaron Lazar, Daniel Cooney, and Graham Rowat.
- People's Choice Awards 2017: 'Outlander' Leads the Full TV Winner List
- Brad Pitt Reportedly Moving In With Kate Hudson Amid Angelina Jolie Divorce
- People's Choice Awards 2017: 'Finding Dory' Leads Movie Winners
- Janelle Monae and Maxwell Are Set to Perform at Women's March
- Nicole Kidman Reportedly Expecting a Baby at 49
- Julia Roberts Joins 'Smurfs: The Lost Village'. Get the First Look!
- Ryan Lochte Unveils Baby's Sex, Dishes on Wedding Plans With Fiancee Kayla Rae Reid
- Road to Reconciliation? Kris and Caitlyn Jenner Are Reportedly in Joint Therapy