George Lopez Lands New Sitcom on FX
George Lopez is plotting his way back to small screen with a new TV show after his talk show "Lopez Tonight" on PBS was canceled in 2011. The comedian will star on FX's sitcom "Saint George" which revolves around "the chaotic life of a recently divorced working class Mexican-American turned successful entrepreneur."
Lopez will portray a man who "struggles to balance his demanding ex-wife, his 11-year-old son, his overbearing mother who just moved in, and his uncle, as well as his new role as a philanthropist 'giving back' by teaching history once a week at a night school."
"I'm excited about my new show, couldn't think a better group of people or better place to create than FX," the 51-year-old actor says of his new show. "Now to get ready... back to Pilates!" The gig marks his first starring role in a sitcom since his long-running ABC series "George Lopez" ended in 2007.
"In the tradition of George's frank and fearless standup comedy, 'Saint George' will reflect his no-holds-barred comedic take on the tensions surrounding race, class, sex and family life in Los Angeles through the eyes of a man straddling two separate cultures," says Kevin Beggs, president of Lionsgate TV Group which will produce the ensemble comedy.
The series is ordered as a 10/90 deal, like "Anger Management", which means FX has ordered 10 episodes and will order 90 more episodes if the show hits a certain ratings threshold.
"Saint George" is co-created by Lopez along with "Roseanne" creator Matt Williams and David McFadzean. The three will write the first episode, and serve as executive producers alongside Michael Rotenberg ("It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia"), Dete Meserve and Judd Payne. Production on the project is slated to begin in August.
- George and Amal Clooney Are 'Having a Blast Coming Up With Baby Names'
- Topless Ariel Winter Shows Off Breast Reduction Scars in New Unretouched Pics
- Pixar's Video Reveals Mind-Blowing Hidden Easter Eggs Throughout Their Movies
- Olivia Munn Reportedly Causes a Rift in Aaron Rodgers' Family
- Watch Fifth Harmony and Blake Shelton's Performances at 2017 People's Choice Awards
- Taryn Manning Is Not Leaving 'Orange Is the New Black', Despite Report
- Zayn Malik Shows Off New 'Love' Tattoo Amid Gigi Hadid Engagement Rumors
- Jennifer Lopez Spotted Cozying Up to Drake on Another Date