Shakira Requests Judge to Dismiss $250M Suit by Ex-Boyfriend
Shakira is entangled in a lawsuit against her former boyfriend Antonio de la Rua, after in September the man asked for $250 million compensation for contributing to her image and success. The singer is now fighting back and has asked judge to dismiss his claims.
According to New York Daily News, in a document submitted to Manhattan Supreme Court, the Colombian singer said, "I was already a well-known and recognized artist, and my international career was established and solid" in 2000, when she met de la Rua for the first time in a concert. She also slammed de la Rua's claim that he contributed to the success of her songs. He was not the singer's business partner and strategist, but "one of my numerous advisers," she said in the document.
Shakira hired him to do "some matters relating to the business" in 2005 out of pity. She told the court that "though he lacked experience or knowledge of the music industry" she "decided to involve (de la Rua)" because he did not have a job. De la Rua's father "was forced to resign as president of Argentina at the end of 2001, plaintiff, for his own safety, became self-exiled from Argentina and he became unemployed."
Previously, de la Rua told the court that he helped and gave advice to Shakira in matters related to "marketing, brand-building and political campaign management" throughout their relationship. He allegedly also persuaded her to continue working on "Hips Don't Lie" which she "hated." In addition, he said that he was behind the $300 million deal with Live Nation in 2008. According to de la Rua, the song "Waka Waka" was inspired by him and he was the one who made it become the official song of 2010 World Cup.
More Shakira News
- Ryan Reynolds Finally Reveals Why He Looked So Uninterested in That Taylor Swift Photo
- HBO and J.J. Abrams Teaming Up for Space Drama 'Glare'
- James Franco's Surprise Role in 'Alien: Covenant' Unveiled
- Angelina Jolie Seen in Public for the First Time Since Brad Pitt Divorce Sans Wedding Ring
- Listen to a Sneak Peek of Louis Tomlinson's Debut Solo Song 'Just Hold On' Featuring Steve Aoki
- They Mean It! Kardashians Not Backing Down Against Blac Chyna Trademarking Her Name
- 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Sequel Gets Release Date. Mark Your Calendar!
- NSFW Alert! Barbara Palvin Ditches Panties to Recreate Sharon Stone's 'Basic Instinct' Scene