'Leave It to Beaver' Actor Frank Bank Dies at 71
Actor Frank Bank, who played Clarence "Lumpy" Rutherford on classic sitcom "Leave It to Beaver", passed away on Saturday, April 13. He died one day after his 71st birthday. He is survived by his wife, Rebecca, daughters Julie Bank, Kelly Lightner, Michelle Randall and Joanne Littman, and five grandchildren.
A spokesman for Hillside Memorial Park in Los Angeles confirmed his death, but there is no further info in regards to where he died or the cause of death. Jerry Mathers, Bank's co-star on the popular series, wrote on his Facebook, "I was so sad to hear today of the passing of my dear friend and business associate Frank Bank, who played Lumpy on Leave it to Beaver. He was a character and always kept us laughing. My deepest condolences to Frank's family."
"Lumpy was the ultimate bully, but Frank was a very, very kind and gentle person and a very good actor to play it so well. The show was about all the people you knew growing up and throughout your life, and Frank brought that perspective to the show," Mathers told Los Angeles Times. The show ran from 1957-1963.
After the show ended, Bank kept making appearances on TV series including "Hollywood Squares" and "Family Feud". Bank, who studied tax-free bond and read The Wall Street Journal during his break time on "Leave It to Beaver" set, later became a stock-and-bond broker. His co-stars on the series, Mathers and Barbara Billingsley, were among his clients. Billingsley once told PEOPLE, "Frank is certainly brighter than Lumpy Rutherford, and a very good stockbroker."
- Kylie Jenner Asks Tyga to Move Back Into Her House
- Rihanna Is Unhappy Kanye West Put Her in Bed With Donald Trump and George W. Bush in 'Famous' Video
- Iggy Azalea Gets Thanked for 'Ruining Hip-Hop.' See Her Reaction
- Winona Ryder Defends Ex Johnny Depp Against Amber Heard's Abuse Allegations
- 'Star Trek Beyond' New Trailer: Captain Kirk Makes His Last Report
- Tyrese Gibson Confirms Return to 'Transformers: The Last Knight'
- Chris Brown Sued by Suge Knight Over 2014 Club Shooting. What's Breezy's Fault?
- Taylor Swift Tells Her Friends She's 'in Love' With Tom Hiddleston as Couple Enjoy Roman Holiday