'Leave It to Beaver' Actor Frank Bank Dies at 71
Actor Frank Bank, who played Clarence "Lumpy" Rutherford on classic sitcom "Leave It to Beaver", passed away on Saturday, April 13. He died one day after his 71st birthday. He is survived by his wife, Rebecca, daughters Julie Bank, Kelly Lightner, Michelle Randall and Joanne Littman, and five grandchildren.
A spokesman for Hillside Memorial Park in Los Angeles confirmed his death, but there is no further info in regards to where he died or the cause of death. Jerry Mathers, Bank's co-star on the popular series, wrote on his Facebook, "I was so sad to hear today of the passing of my dear friend and business associate Frank Bank, who played Lumpy on Leave it to Beaver. He was a character and always kept us laughing. My deepest condolences to Frank's family."
"Lumpy was the ultimate bully, but Frank was a very, very kind and gentle person and a very good actor to play it so well. The show was about all the people you knew growing up and throughout your life, and Frank brought that perspective to the show," Mathers told Los Angeles Times. The show ran from 1957-1963.
After the show ended, Bank kept making appearances on TV series including "Hollywood Squares" and "Family Feud". Bank, who studied tax-free bond and read The Wall Street Journal during his break time on "Leave It to Beaver" set, later became a stock-and-bond broker. His co-stars on the series, Mathers and Barbara Billingsley, were among his clients. Billingsley once told PEOPLE, "Frank is certainly brighter than Lumpy Rutherford, and a very good stockbroker."
- The Flash Reunites With Jay Garrick, Teams Up With Tom Felton's Character in Season 3 Photos
- 'Doctor Strange' IMAX Trailer Unveils Avengers Ties. Also Get Details About Rachel McAdams' Role
- Donald Trump on Former Miss Universe Alicia Machado He Once Called 'Miss Piggy': She's 'the Worst'
- Amy Schumer Is First Woman to Make Forbes' List of Highest-Paid Comedians
- Justin Bieber Blows Snots on Concertgoers After Telling Fans They 'Suck'
- Denzel Washington and Viola Davis Argue Over Their Hard Lives in 'Fences' Teaser Trailer
- Netflix Debuts First Trailer for Its Ambitious Royal Drama 'The Crown'
- Did Gigi Hadid Throw Shade at Harry Styles With This Photo of Zayn Malik?