The Flaming Lips' Song Gets Dropped as Oklahoma's Official Song
The Flaming Lips' song "Do You Realize" has been Oklahoma's official rock song since 2009 when previous Democrat governor Brad Henry signed an executive order proclaiming it as such. However, beginning this year, it ceases to be the state's official rock anthem following current governor Mary Fallin's decision not to renew the said executive order.
The Wayne Coyne-fronted band's song was picked by 11,000 out of 21,000 Oklahoma folks who participated in a survey as their favorite among a list of ten songs selected by a panel of experts. However, Republican Gov. Fallin has pulled the tune from its designation, stating changing priorities as the reason why the rock tune did not get renewed.
"When the governor was elected to office, we had a $500 million budget shortfall, we were in the middle of a recession, and we had a huge number of pardon and parole cases left over from the (former Gov. Brad) Henry administration," Fallin spokesman Alex Weintz said. "As we were clearing our backlog, renewing executive orders and pursuing our priorities, addressing the state rock 'n' roll song did not make the cut."
Other politicians seemed to be similarly not endeared to the psychedelic group who gave Oklahoma State its rock anthem for the past three years. One lawmaker was offended by Coyne’s foul language when the Lips performed in an event sponsored by Oklahoma City officials while another complained that a band member wore a t-shirt bearing a hammer and sickle, a symbol of communism, while visiting the state capitol.
- Priyanka Chopra Throws Her Hat Into the Ring to Be Female James Bond
- Listen to a Preview of Shawn Mendes' New Song 'Better'
- Elijah Wood Clarifies Comment on Child Sex Abuse in Hollywood, Says It's Misinterpreted
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss Confirms Someone's Getting Married in Season 7
- Anne Hathaway Throws Shade at the Kardashians, Says It's Unintentional
- Eminem Sells Bricks of His Childhood Home for 'Marshall Mathers LP' Anniversary
- Did Jennifer Lawrence Just Say She Was Under the Influence While Filming 'The Hunger Games'?
- Helen Hunt Mistaken for Jodie Foster by Starbucks Barista. Read the Funny Story