The Flaming Lips' Song Gets Dropped as Oklahoma's Official Song
The Flaming Lips' song "Do You Realize" has been Oklahoma's official rock song since 2009 when previous Democrat governor Brad Henry signed an executive order proclaiming it as such. However, beginning this year, it ceases to be the state's official rock anthem following current governor Mary Fallin's decision not to renew the said executive order.
The Wayne Coyne-fronted band's song was picked by 11,000 out of 21,000 Oklahoma folks who participated in a survey as their favorite among a list of ten songs selected by a panel of experts. However, Republican Gov. Fallin has pulled the tune from its designation, stating changing priorities as the reason why the rock tune did not get renewed.
"When the governor was elected to office, we had a $500 million budget shortfall, we were in the middle of a recession, and we had a huge number of pardon and parole cases left over from the (former Gov. Brad) Henry administration," Fallin spokesman Alex Weintz said. "As we were clearing our backlog, renewing executive orders and pursuing our priorities, addressing the state rock 'n' roll song did not make the cut."
Other politicians seemed to be similarly not endeared to the psychedelic group who gave Oklahoma State its rock anthem for the past three years. One lawmaker was offended by Coyne’s foul language when the Lips performed in an event sponsored by Oklahoma City officials while another complained that a band member wore a t-shirt bearing a hammer and sickle, a symbol of communism, while visiting the state capitol.
- Pregnant Blac Chyna Gets Striptease From Mariah Carey's Dancer on Vegas Stage
- Aziz Ansari Puts Donald Trump on Blast in Scathing Op-Ed Over Anti-Muslim Remarks
- Steven Tyler Confirms Aerosmith's 2017 Farewell Tour
- 'Rogue One' Releases More New Photos. Also Get Detail of Mon Mothma's Bigger Role
- Taylor Swift Flies to U.K. to Meet Tom Hiddleston's Mom. See Picture of Their Happy Outing
- 'Game of Thrones' Season Finale Won't Slow Down the Pace, People Will Die
- Audrina Patridge and Fiance Welcome Baby Girl Kirra Max
- Getting Married? Tyga Calls Kylie Jenner His 'Wifey'