Sex Pistols' Johnny Rotten Accused of Being Sexist After Telling Female Anchor to 'Shut Up'
Sex Pistols' rocker Johnny Rotten has sparked controversy during his recent interview on Australian talk show "The Project". The musician whose real name is John Lydon shocked many when he told a female anchor who interviewed him to "shut up" and "listen when a man is talking."
Rotten didn't seem to have problem when he first talked to the male interviewer Andrew Rochford, but he flipped out when Carrie Bickmore interrupted him. "Hey, hey missus, shut up, whoever you are, shut up, shut up, shut up," he said. "Now listen, when a man is talking do not interrupt."
Bickmore tried her best to be polite to her guest and continue the chat, but Rotten had none of it. "Stop it. You sound like one of them dreadful loud birds I don't like," he said. When she said it was offensive, he fired back, "So are you when you do that. You have to learn what manners and respect is."
Bickmore later took to Twitter to slam Rotten, "My mum always told me never to stoop to someone else's level. Must have been preparing me for Johnny Rotten. #johnnyrottenknob." Meanwhile, fellow anchor Rochford called the lead vocalist "a flat-out sexist, misogynist pig."
Rotten defended himself, "It's quite clear to me I'm not sexist, I'm not a misogynist." He claimed that he couldn't tell if the anchor asking him questions via satellite was male or female. "There were a lot of people shouting all at once and I couldn't quite make out who was what," he insisted.
"I don't know if these are males or females at the other end. Basically they sounded like hyenas. And you have to tell a hyena to shut it from time to time. My only enemies are governments and institutions. Certainly not women. I've been married to one for 30 years, and we love each other."
The 57-year-old British rocker went on, "If someone's going to keep interrupting you and don't let you finish a sentence you're going to have to say something at some point, whether it be male or female ... it was sexist on her part not mine."
- Kobe Bryant and Wife Vanessa Welcome Baby No. 3
- John Cena Enters Battlefield in Intense Trailer for Doug Liman's 'The Wall'
- Gigi Hadid Blames Meds for Skinnier Figure, Announces Social Media Break Over the Holidays
- Nicki Minaj Flaunts Major Sideboob and Butt While Celebrating Birthday With Meek Mill
- 'La La Land' and 'Arrival' Among AFI's Top Ten Movies of 2016
- Donald Trump Is Still Involved in 'The Apprentice' After All
- Mick Jagger, 73, Welcomes Baby Boy With 30-Year-Old Girlfriend Melanie Hamrick
- Watch 'Carpool Karaoke' With Madonna and Find Out Juicy Detail of Her Night Out With Michael Jackson