More Than Half of Justin Bieber's Twitter Followers Are Fake
Justin Bieber may not be as popular as it seems, despite being the most-followed person on Twitter. SocialBakers reveals that nearly half of 37 million accounts following Bieber are fake and inactive. According to the social media statistic, the 19-year-old Canadian singer "only" has about 17.8 million real and active followers.
According to BBC, SocialBakers spots fake accounts by looking at the number of followers and seeing if genuine tweets have been posted, rather than spam. The data also considers fake accounts to continuously tweet buzz phrases such as "diet," "make money" and "work from home."
"With a huge celebrity Twitter account of this size and age it is completely normal to have between 20-50 percent of followers who are inactive or fake," Maje Crumpton, a spokesperson for Socialbakers, says in a statement. "It is not necessarily an indication of anything sinister."
Crumpton continues, "A high percentage of fans are likely to start accounts to follow celebrities and then stop using them. Of course, the larger the amount of followers, the harder it is to keep track of and remove inactive followers. You will no doubt see a similarly high numbers of inactive followers on any abnormally large celebrity Twitter account."
Bieber isn't the only celebrity with bogus followers. Jedward is actually worse as they have around 61 percent fake fans. Lady GaGa is lucky enough to claim back her title as the most-followed person on Twitter as she has 19 million genuine followers and pushes aside Bieber who overtook the title from her last year.
More Justin Bieber News
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' Toys Reveal First Look at Kurt Russell's Ego
- Will Kanye West Perform at Pal Donald Trump's Inauguration?
- Fergie Who? Nicole Scherzinger to Replace the Singer in Black Eyed Peas
- Tupac Shakur Biopic 'All Eyez on Me' Is Set to Be Released in Summer
- Kendall Jenner and A$AP Rocky Reignite Dating Rumors After Seen Shopping Together
- Ariana Grande Criticized for Claiming She's the 'Hardest Working 23-Year-Old' on Earth
- Lady GaGa Teases Super Bowl Performance in New Behind-the-Scenes Video
- 'Game of Thrones' Latest Tidbit Reveals This Character's Unlikely Return in Season 7