Former 'The Walking Dead' Showrunner to Write 'The Shining' Prequel
Warner Bros. is reportedly in negotiations with Glen Mazzara to provide the screenplay of "The Overlook Hotel", a prequel to Stanley Kubrick's "The Shining". If he agrees, Mazzara will team up with producers Laeta Kalogridis, Bradley Fischer and James Vanderbilt to work on the classic horror film based on Stephen King's novel.
WB has been developing the project quietly since July 2012. However, the studio is doubted to own the rights to a section documenting the bloody early history of the haunted Overlook Hotel, which was cut from the 1977 novel of Stephen King.
"There's a real question about whether or not they have the rights to 'Before the Play', which was the prologue cut from the book - because the epilogue to the book was called 'After the Play'," King explains to Entertainment Weekly. " 'The Shining' is such an old book now that the copyright comes back to me. Arguably, the film rights lapse - so we'll see."
However, when asked about the project, King strongly objects to it. "Am I eager to see that happen? No I am not," he says. "I have a tendency to let people develop things...I would be just as happy if it didn't happen."
The first film, "The Shining", is a 1980's psychological horror film that starred Jack Nicholson and Shelley Duvall. Although it was a commercial success, King was not pleased about the adaptation, saying that the film was the only adaptation of his novels that he could "remember hating."
- Halle Berry Skinny-Dipping in the Night After Oscars. Watch the Video!
- Courtney Stodden Exposes Her Nipple in Racy Corset Dress While Attending Oscars Party
- Nicki Minaj Wears Skimpy Bodysuit on Set of New Music Video
- 'Biggest Loser' Trainer Bob Harper's Back at Home After Suffering Heart Attack: 'I'm Feeling Better'
- Here's Why Jennifer Aniston's Oscars Gown Looks Familiar: It Was First Worn by Jennifer Lopez
- Mahershala Ali to Play Two Roles in 'Alita: Battle Angel'
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2': Drax Annoys the Gang in New Trailer Preview
- Katy Perry Accidentally Flashes Her Bare Butt as She Reunites With Orlando Bloom at Oscars Party