Actress Junie Hoang Loses Age-Reveal Lawsuit Against IMDb
Actress Huong Hoang, or Junie Hoang, who filed a lawsuit against Internet Movie Database (IMDb) in 2011 lost her case in Seattle court. The court's verdict which favors the company was out on Thursday, April 11. The court decided that IMDb did not breach its contract with the actress for revealing her true age.
The actress told Associated Press after the verdict, "My hope was that it would make a change in the database. I knew it was a problem not just for me but for anyone else who had their age on their profile."
The Screen Actors Guild and American Federation of Television and Radio Artists made a joint statement to support Hoang and urge IMDb "to step up and take responsibility for the harm it has caused." The statement read, "IMDb publishes the actual dates of birth of thousands of actors without their consent, most of them not celebrities but rank-and-file actors whose names are unknown to the general public. When their actual ages then become known to casting personnel, the 10+ year age range that many of them can portray suddenly shrinks and so do their opportunities to work."
IMDb said in a motion during the trial, "Hoang now seeks to hold IMDb liable for publishing the truth.Yet none of these events would have occurred if Hoang had not first provided IMDb with a false birth date, and then insisted that IMDb investigate its own files for proof of her birth date."
- Selena Gomez's '13 Reasons Why' Sparks Concerns Among School Officials and Health Experts
- Report: Taylor Swift and Harry Styles Getting Back Together
- 'DWTS' Stars Maksim Chmerkovskiy and Peta Murgatroyd Survive Attempted Break-In
- Heather Morris on Her 'DWTS' Elimination: 'I Was Very Happy for the Last Time to Be Amazing'
- Tyga's Afraid of Losing Kylie Jenner Forever as He Feels 'Threatened' by Travis Scott
- Hailee Steinfeld's New Song 'Most Girls' Will Arrive This Week
- Tiny's 'Nervous' to Divorce T.I.: Their Children Are Her Biggest Concern
- Madonna Slams Biopic 'Blonde Ambition'