'Invicible' Director Ericson Core Set to Direct 'Point Break' Remake
"Point Break", the remake of 1991's action thriller of the same title, has found its helmer. Alcon Entertainment's co-founders and co-CEOs Broderick Johnson and Andrew Kosove have announced that "Invincible" director Ericson Core has been tapped as the helmer of the company's upcoming film.
Kosove reveals that the remake will not focus on surfing like the original film, which was directed by "The Hurt Locker" filmmaker Kathryn Bigelow. "[Our 'Point Break'] has got elements of the original and it's not just surfing, it's other kinds of extreme sports, but surfing is very, very prominent in the story," he says.
The film will be produced by Johnson, Kosove, Michael DeLuca, John Baldecchi, Chris Taylor and Kurt Wimmer, who also wrote the script. RGM Media principal Devesh Chetty and chairman of Marloss Entertainment John McMurrick will be executive producing the project, which is set to begin its production in late 2013.
The original "Point Break", which initially went by the name of "Johnny Utah" and later "Riders on the Storm", starred Patrick Swayze, Keanu Reeves, Lori Petty and Gary Busey. Released on July 12, 1991, the film was a box office success by taking in $8.5 million on its opening weekend.
Core has been known in the film industry as a cinematographer. Among his works are "The Fast and the Furious" and "Daredevil, The Movie". He began to make his directorial debut in 2006 with Disney's "Invincible", which starred Mark Wahlberg and Greg Kinnear.
- Keke Palmer Blames the World for 'Ugly' Kylie Jenner's Drastic Transformation
- Britney Spears Mispronounces Tinashe's Name During Onstage Performance
- Tegan and Sara Release 'Miami Vice'-Inspired 'Dying to Know' Video
- Seth Meyers Will End 2016 With Jennifer Lawrence, Arnold Schwarzenegger and More
- Liam Payne Blasts Louis Walsh for Dissing His Pregnant Girlfriend Cheryl
- Demi Moore Annoys Mila Kunis for 'Butting in' After Birth of Her Son With Ashton Kutcher
- Get Sneak Peeks of Daredevil and Jessica Jones' Encounter in New 'Defenders' Set Photos
- Find Out Liam Payne's Big Plan to Propose to Pregnant Girlfriend Cheryl