'Invicible' Director Ericson Core Set to Direct 'Point Break' Remake
"Point Break", the remake of 1991's action thriller of the same title, has found its helmer. Alcon Entertainment's co-founders and co-CEOs Broderick Johnson and Andrew Kosove have announced that "Invincible" director Ericson Core has been tapped as the helmer of the company's upcoming film.
Kosove reveals that the remake will not focus on surfing like the original film, which was directed by "The Hurt Locker" filmmaker Kathryn Bigelow. "[Our 'Point Break'] has got elements of the original and it's not just surfing, it's other kinds of extreme sports, but surfing is very, very prominent in the story," he says.
The film will be produced by Johnson, Kosove, Michael DeLuca, John Baldecchi, Chris Taylor and Kurt Wimmer, who also wrote the script. RGM Media principal Devesh Chetty and chairman of Marloss Entertainment John McMurrick will be executive producing the project, which is set to begin its production in late 2013.
The original "Point Break", which initially went by the name of "Johnny Utah" and later "Riders on the Storm", starred Patrick Swayze, Keanu Reeves, Lori Petty and Gary Busey. Released on July 12, 1991, the film was a box office success by taking in $8.5 million on its opening weekend.
Core has been known in the film industry as a cinematographer. Among his works are "The Fast and the Furious" and "Daredevil, The Movie". He began to make his directorial debut in 2006 with Disney's "Invincible", which starred Mark Wahlberg and Greg Kinnear.
- Ellen Pompeo Admits She Stays on 'Grey's Anatomy' Because of Her Age
- James McAvoy Is a Psychopath in 'Split' Trailer
- Kristen Stewart 'So Much Happier' With Girlfriend Alicia Cargile Than With Any Man
- Watch: Elizabeth Banks, Idina Menzel and More Stars Cover 'Fight Song' for Hillary Clinton
- 'Suicide Squad' Director Addresses Joker Fan Theory
- Blac Chyna Gets Love From Kim While Attending a Kardashian Family Event Sans Rob
- Khloe Kardashian Slams Donald Trump as Elizabeth Banks Likens Him to 'Hunger Games' Character
- Not a Wise Spender, Kylie Jenner Is Reportedly Nearly Broke