'Twilight' Star Kellan Lutz to Lead 'Hercules 3D'
"Hercules 3D" helmer Renny Harlin has finally found his Hercules in Kellan Lutz. The "Twilight" actor is set to portray the mythological Greek demi-god in the Nu Image and Millenium's upcoming epic. "Kellan has the look and charisma that Harlin envisioned for the character," says Millenium's head of creative affairs Boaz Davidson.
Harlin has his reasons why the 28-year-old actor is perfect for the hero character. "It takes more than a good physique to portray the most legendary, mythological personality in history - and Kellan has exactly that, personality," he tells The Hollywood Reporter.
The Finnish director then admits that he has "had [Lutz] in mind" since the day the actor auditioned, saying, "He's not afraid to explore the strengths and vulnerabilities of the character, and he impressed me with his passion and heart."
The film will focus on Hercules' passionate love story with the Princess of Crete, who was promised to his older brother despite her undying love for the son of Zeus. "It's not a comic book, cartoony fantasy thing. It's closer to Gladiator than flying horses," explains Harlin, who also serves as the co-writer alongside Sean Hood and Giulio Steve.
Eyeing a March 2014 release, the $70-million-budgeted film is set to begin its production this May at the company's Nu Boyana Film Studios in Sofia, Bulgaria.
- 'This Is Us' to Bring Back Ron Cephas Jones in Season 2 After That Emotional Road Trip
- Gigi and Bella Hadid Go Vampy for Milan Fashion Week
- NBC's 'Taken' Opening Scene Reveals How Bryan Mills' Sister Is Murdered
- Wham! and Chris Martin Pay Tribute to George Michael at BRIT Awards
- Tom Cruise Reportedly Ready to Reconnect With Daughter Suri After Years Apart
- Hugh Jackman Rules Out Wolverine/Deadpool Movie
- 'Glee' Alum Lauren Potter's Engagement Called Off
- David Beckham Smashes His Tooth During Snowboarding Trip, Days After Son Brooklyn Got Arm Injury