Angelina Jolie Honors Young Activist Malala Yousafzai at Women in the World Gala
Angelina Jolie attended 2013 Women in the World summit at Lincoln Center in New York City on Thursday, April 4 along with the likes of Meryl Streep. The actress paid tribute to Malala Yousafzai, a 14-year-old girl from Pakistan who was shot in the head for advocating girls' education.
"Here's what they accomplished," the special envoy for the U.N. refugee agency said of Yousafzai's attackers in the emotional tribute to introduce the little girl to the crowd. "They shot her point blank range in the head - and made her stronger. The brutal attempt to silence her voice made it stronger."
Jolie also joked that Yousafzai was once informed by her father that she was the sixth most influential person in the world ahead of President Barack Obama but the girl wasn't happy because she believed human beings should not be categorized in that way. "So there's a lot we can learn from this little girl," Jolie said.
The inspiring teen then appeared via a video from Britain, where she underwent surgery and skull reconstructions and now attends school. She announced the Malala Fund and said a school had been built in her home country for 40 girls, thanks to the charity. "Let us turn the education of 40 girls into 40 million girls," she said.
Tina Brown, the Newsweek/Daily Beast editor who created the Women in the World summit, later revealed to the audience at the fourth annual event that Jolie had personally donated $200,000 for the good cause which Yousafzai is in charge of.
In another tribute segment, Streep took the stage to honor another activist, Inez McCormack of Northern Ireland, who died in January of cancer. Also, there was Barbara Walters hosting a panel in Syria. Other attendees included America Ferrera, Lauren Bush and Diane Von Furstenberg.
More Angelina Jolie News
- James Blunt Sings Touching New Song at Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds' Memorial
- 'Orange Is the New Black' Star Samira Wiley Marries the Show's Writer Lauren Morelli
- 'Once Upon a Time' 6.15 Preview: Aladdin and Jasmine Meet Ariel in 'A Wondrous Place'
- Wishes Turn Into Nightmares in 'Wish Upon' New Trailer
- Sade Convinces Drake Not to Diss Kendrick Lamar Over a Track
- Selena Gomez Cheers on The Weeknd at Brazilian Concert
- 'Power Rangers' Future Installment May Feature Female Green Ranger
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss on the Ending: No One Can Get Happy Ending Without Some Struggle