The Humane Society Claims Justin Bieber Is 'Irresponsible' for Having Pet Monkey
Animal right activists from The Humane Society of the United States were the latest ones who slammed Justin Bieber. The animal protection organization labeled the 19-year-old singer "irresponsible" and "out of control" after his capuchin monkey, Mally, was detained in Germany because he couldn't provide proper paperwork.
"People want to emulate celebrities they admire. When somebody like Justin Bieber is irresponsible and goes out and gets a pet monkey, he sets a very bad example... He seems to be a little bit out of control," Debby Leathy, the spokesperson from The Humane Society, told National Geographic.
Leathy said that Capuchin monkeys were too wild to be kept as pets. Leathy explained, "No primate species should ever be kept as a pet. They have very special needs. These are highly social animals. They need to be kept with others of their own kind; that's just critical to their psychological well-being."
Having a Capuchin monkey as a pet could also be dangerous, according to Leathy. "All primate species can become aggressive," she added. "A lot of times when the primate reaches sexual maturity, it becomes extremely aggressive, unpredictable -bouncing off the walls in the house, destroying everything. It ends up being confined for the rest of its life in a little cage in the basement, or [the owner] looks to dump it."
Mally remains being quarantined in Germany and Bieber hasn't claimed his pet yet. Officials said that the Canadian singer had four weeks to pick up the primate and he could face a fine of more than $16,000 for allegedly breaking Germany's import laws.
More Justin Bieber News
- Justin Bieber Turns Down $5M Offer to Perform at RNC
- You Won't Believe How Much Mila Kunis Spent on Her Wedding Ring
- Matt Damon Fights Monsters in Epic Trailer for 'The Great Wall'
- 'Sesame Street' Fires Three Longtime Cast Members
- Find Out Which Joe Jonas' Famous Exes He Would Like to 'Shag, Marry and Kill'
- Cameron Diaz and Benji Madden's Baby Struggles Reportedly Cause Marriage Problems
- Andrew Garfield Is World War II Hero in First 'Hacksaw Ridge' Trailer
- 'Scream Queens' Adds Jerry O'Connell in Mystery Role