First Trailer for Ethan Hawke's 'The Purge' Unleashes a Night of Terror
Universal Pictures has debuted the first trailer for R-rated thriller "The Purge" via Apple. Featuring Ethan Hawke as a father who tries to protect his family during an annual 12-hour period where all laws are suspended, the video hints at the intense situation in a family's house when the vicious outside world breaks into their home.
In an America wracked by crime and overcrowded prisons, the government has sanctioned an annual 12-hour period in which any and all criminal activity becomes legal and all emergency services are suspended. On this night plagued by violence and an epidemic of crime, one family wrestles with the decision of who they will become when a stranger comes knocking.
When an intruder breaks into James Sandin's gated community during the yearly lockdown, he begins a sequence of events that threatens to tear a family apart. Now, it is up to James, his wife, Mary, and their kids to make it through the night without turning into the monsters from whom they hide.
Hawke plays the family patriarch, with "Game of Thrones" actress Lena Headey playing his wife. Rhys Wakefield, Max Burkholder, Edwin Hodge, Tony Oller and Adelaide Kane support the James DeMonaco-directed movie, which will bow in U.S. theaters on May 31.
- 'Jack Ryan' Series to Tackle ISIS in Season 1, John Krasinski Reveals
- Jennifer Lopez and Casper Smart Break Up Again!
- 'Nashville' Season 5 Gets Premiere Date at CMT
- Doug Liman Abandons 'Gambit' Movie, Will Now Direct 'Justice League Dark'
- Kylie Jenner Bounces Back After Suffering From Food Poisoning
- AFI Cancels 'Birth of a Nation' Screening Amid Nate Parker Rape Trial Controversy
- Britney Spears Reveals She 'Almost Drowned' in Hawaii
- Kate Gosselin Sends Son Collin Away to Get Help for 'Special Needs'