First Trailer for Ethan Hawke's 'The Purge' Unleashes a Night of Terror
Universal Pictures has debuted the first trailer for R-rated thriller "The Purge" via Apple. Featuring Ethan Hawke as a father who tries to protect his family during an annual 12-hour period where all laws are suspended, the video hints at the intense situation in a family's house when the vicious outside world breaks into their home.
In an America wracked by crime and overcrowded prisons, the government has sanctioned an annual 12-hour period in which any and all criminal activity becomes legal and all emergency services are suspended. On this night plagued by violence and an epidemic of crime, one family wrestles with the decision of who they will become when a stranger comes knocking.
When an intruder breaks into James Sandin's gated community during the yearly lockdown, he begins a sequence of events that threatens to tear a family apart. Now, it is up to James, his wife, Mary, and their kids to make it through the night without turning into the monsters from whom they hide.
Hawke plays the family patriarch, with "Game of Thrones" actress Lena Headey playing his wife. Rhys Wakefield, Max Burkholder, Edwin Hodge, Tony Oller and Adelaide Kane support the James DeMonaco-directed movie, which will bow in U.S. theaters on May 31.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Do Have a Pre-Nup. So, Who's the Big Winner?
- 'Thor: Ragnarok': 'Jurassic Park' Star Sam Neill Reveals His Secret Role
- Lindsay Lohan's Ex Egor Denies He's Broke and Let Her Pay for Everything While Still Dating
- 'Last Man on Earth' Premiere Features Surprise Cameo, Stages Mini 'Mad Men' Reunion
- Blac Chyna's Mom Scolds Rob Kardashian, Fears He Will 'Ruin' Their Relationship
- Drake Depicts Violence, Gets Steamy With a Girl in New 'Please Forgive Me' Short Film
- Kendall and Kylie Jenner Get Matching Ferraris. But Why Is One Sister Left Embarrassed?
- Angelina Jolie Reportedly Turns to Johnny Depp Amid Brad Pitt Divorce