First Trailer for Ethan Hawke's 'The Purge' Unleashes a Night of Terror
Universal Pictures has debuted the first trailer for R-rated thriller "The Purge" via Apple. Featuring Ethan Hawke as a father who tries to protect his family during an annual 12-hour period where all laws are suspended, the video hints at the intense situation in a family's house when the vicious outside world breaks into their home.
In an America wracked by crime and overcrowded prisons, the government has sanctioned an annual 12-hour period in which any and all criminal activity becomes legal and all emergency services are suspended. On this night plagued by violence and an epidemic of crime, one family wrestles with the decision of who they will become when a stranger comes knocking.
When an intruder breaks into James Sandin's gated community during the yearly lockdown, he begins a sequence of events that threatens to tear a family apart. Now, it is up to James, his wife, Mary, and their kids to make it through the night without turning into the monsters from whom they hide.
Hawke plays the family patriarch, with "Game of Thrones" actress Lena Headey playing his wife. Rhys Wakefield, Max Burkholder, Edwin Hodge, Tony Oller and Adelaide Kane support the James DeMonaco-directed movie, which will bow in U.S. theaters on May 31.
- Oscar Accountants Issue an Apology Over Best Picture Blunder
- Halle Berry Rocks Big Curly Locks at the Academy Awards
- 'Batman v Superman', 'Hillary's America' Are Top Losers at Razzie Awards
- Nicole Kidman Passionately Kisses Keith Urban as He Naughtily Grabs Her Bum on Oscars' Red Carpet
- 'The Walking Dead' 7.12 Sneak Peeks: More Guns, More People, More Time
- President Donald Trump to Skip White House Correspondents' Dinner Following Tension With Press
- 'Cars 3' New Extended Teaser Introduces the Next Generation of Racers
- Lea Michele Gets Naked in Bed With a Guy Before Oscars