First Trailer for Ethan Hawke's 'The Purge' Unleashes a Night of Terror
Universal Pictures has debuted the first trailer for R-rated thriller "The Purge" via Apple. Featuring Ethan Hawke as a father who tries to protect his family during an annual 12-hour period where all laws are suspended, the video hints at the intense situation in a family's house when the vicious outside world breaks into their home.
In an America wracked by crime and overcrowded prisons, the government has sanctioned an annual 12-hour period in which any and all criminal activity becomes legal and all emergency services are suspended. On this night plagued by violence and an epidemic of crime, one family wrestles with the decision of who they will become when a stranger comes knocking.
When an intruder breaks into James Sandin's gated community during the yearly lockdown, he begins a sequence of events that threatens to tear a family apart. Now, it is up to James, his wife, Mary, and their kids to make it through the night without turning into the monsters from whom they hide.
Hawke plays the family patriarch, with "Game of Thrones" actress Lena Headey playing his wife. Rhys Wakefield, Max Burkholder, Edwin Hodge, Tony Oller and Adelaide Kane support the James DeMonaco-directed movie, which will bow in U.S. theaters on May 31.
More The Purge News
- Drama 'Super Family' Is Under Fire for Using Jessica Jung's Name as a Deceased
- Orlando Bloom Spotted Having Dinner With Mysterious Brunette
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' New Season 3 Promo Shows How Brutal Survival Is
- Orlando Bloom Broke Noomi Rapace's Nose on 'Unlocked' Filming Set
- 'X-Men' TV Pilot 'Gifted' Reveals First Look at Stan Lee Cameo
- Travis Scott Dating Kylie Jenner Is Career Suicide, His Pals Think
- Not Pleased With Her Body, Kendall Jenner Is Dying to Be Like Emily Ratajkowski
- Nicki Minaj to Release a Surprise Project on Tidal