Magic Johnson and Wife 'Proud of' Gay Son
Magic Johnson's son, Earvin "E.J."Johnson III, was spotted walking and holding hands with an unidentified man on the Sunset Strip on Monday, April 1. TMZ reported the news and claimed the man was E.J.'s boyfriend.
E.J., wearing a fur coat and carrying a handbag, and his mystery man were heading into a club when he was asked by the site about the new Los Angeles Dodgers season and the Los Angeles Lakers' playoff chances. "I'm going to hope and pray for them, too, because I always root for my Lakers," he said of his father's former team.
Meanwhile, parents Magic and Cookie showed their approval and support to their son. "Cookie and I love E.J. and support him in every way," the 53-year-old former Los Angeles Lakers player said of his 20-year-old son. "We're very proud of him."
E.J. wasn't the first Johnsons to be rumored as a gay. Revealing his HIV status back in 1991, Magic was rumored as either gay or bisexual, and had contracted HIV by having sex with an HIV-positive male partner. He then retired in the same year and became a vocal advocate for HIV/AIDS prevention and funding ever since.
"So I'm working hard to continue to educate minorities about HIV and AIDS and we've got to band together. We're too fragmented right now, but if we can do that, we're going to do well," he said in a 2011 interview. "Homophobia is still an issue everywhere, but especially in the black community. When people are scared to talk about it, that's how the disease spreads."
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival