Magic Johnson and Wife 'Proud of' Gay Son
Magic Johnson's son, Earvin "E.J."Johnson III, was spotted walking and holding hands with an unidentified man on the Sunset Strip on Monday, April 1. TMZ reported the news and claimed the man was E.J.'s boyfriend.
E.J., wearing a fur coat and carrying a handbag, and his mystery man were heading into a club when he was asked by the site about the new Los Angeles Dodgers season and the Los Angeles Lakers' playoff chances. "I'm going to hope and pray for them, too, because I always root for my Lakers," he said of his father's former team.
Meanwhile, parents Magic and Cookie showed their approval and support to their son. "Cookie and I love E.J. and support him in every way," the 53-year-old former Los Angeles Lakers player said of his 20-year-old son. "We're very proud of him."
E.J. wasn't the first Johnsons to be rumored as a gay. Revealing his HIV status back in 1991, Magic was rumored as either gay or bisexual, and had contracted HIV by having sex with an HIV-positive male partner. He then retired in the same year and became a vocal advocate for HIV/AIDS prevention and funding ever since.
"So I'm working hard to continue to educate minorities about HIV and AIDS and we've got to band together. We're too fragmented right now, but if we can do that, we're going to do well," he said in a 2011 interview. "Homophobia is still an issue everywhere, but especially in the black community. When people are scared to talk about it, that's how the disease spreads."
- Sophia Bush Exits 'Chicago P.D.' After Four Seasons
- Niall Horan Promises One Direction Reunion, With Zayn Malik
- Bella Thorne Says Cannes 'Isn't for Me' as Scott Disick Ditches Her for Ex Chloe Bartoli
- 'Game of Thrones': New Photos Reunite the Four Starks, Final Season Episode Count Is Revealed
- Chris Cornell Appeared to Have Used Other Drugs Before Hanging Himself
- Nicki Minaj to Perform at the 2017 NBA Awards
- Is She Pregnant? Cristiano Ronaldo's GF Georgina Rodriguez Sports Suspicious Bump in New Pic
- Tyra Banks Accused of Abusing a Girl on 'America's Got Talent'