Magic Johnson and Wife 'Proud of' Gay Son
Magic Johnson's son, Earvin "E.J."Johnson III, was spotted walking and holding hands with an unidentified man on the Sunset Strip on Monday, April 1. TMZ reported the news and claimed the man was E.J.'s boyfriend.
E.J., wearing a fur coat and carrying a handbag, and his mystery man were heading into a club when he was asked by the site about the new Los Angeles Dodgers season and the Los Angeles Lakers' playoff chances. "I'm going to hope and pray for them, too, because I always root for my Lakers," he said of his father's former team.
Meanwhile, parents Magic and Cookie showed their approval and support to their son. "Cookie and I love E.J. and support him in every way," the 53-year-old former Los Angeles Lakers player said of his 20-year-old son. "We're very proud of him."
E.J. wasn't the first Johnsons to be rumored as a gay. Revealing his HIV status back in 1991, Magic was rumored as either gay or bisexual, and had contracted HIV by having sex with an HIV-positive male partner. He then retired in the same year and became a vocal advocate for HIV/AIDS prevention and funding ever since.
"So I'm working hard to continue to educate minorities about HIV and AIDS and we've got to band together. We're too fragmented right now, but if we can do that, we're going to do well," he said in a 2011 interview. "Homophobia is still an issue everywhere, but especially in the black community. When people are scared to talk about it, that's how the disease spreads."
- Laura Prepon Expecting First Child With Ben Foster
- Tom Brady on His Friendship With Donald Trump: Why Is It Such a Big Deal?
- 'Celebrity Apprentice' Recap: Technical Difficulty Causes More Termination
- 'Saturday Night Live' Writer Is Suspended for Mocking Barron Trump on Twitter
- Soulja Boy Charged on Suspicion of Illegally Possessing Firearms
- 'The Bachelor' Recap: Tension Between Corinne and Other Girls Is About to Get Physical
- 'Star Wars: Episode VIII' Gets Official Title, Mark Hamill Reacts
- Michelle Williams Reveals She Was 'Inconsolable' After Leaving Shared Home With Heath Ledger