David Tennant and Billie Piper Confirmed to Return for 'Doctor Who' 50th Anniversary Special
David Tennant and Billie Piper will team up once again as the tenth Doctor and his companion Rose Tyler in "Doctor Who" 50th anniversary special, BBC America has officially announced. They join the show's all-star cast which also includes Matt Smith and Jenna-Louise Coleman, who play the current Doctor and his newest companion Clara Oswald, as well as British screen veteran John Hurt.
Produced by BBC Cymru Wales for BBC One, the 50th anniversary special will be written by Steven Moffat and Directed by Nick Hurran. Filming will begin this week and it's said that the special episode could end up being up to 90 minutes long. The special will reportedly screen in 3D theaters at the same time it airs on BBC One.
Talking about the anniversary special, Smith recently said, "I read the script and clapped at the end." He went on gushing, "It's epic and vast and fans won't be disappointed. It's the biggest and best exciting year and this script delivers on all those things."
The upcoming special will mark the first time Tennant reprises his role as the tenth Doctor since he was last seen in a January 1, 2010 episode, where Piper also returned as his companion Rose Tyler. Piper later made a brief cameo in an episode of season 6 airing in August 2011.
"Doctor Who" returned with the second part of its seventh season last Saturday, March 30 on BBC America.
More Doctor Who News
- 'Game of Thrones' Stars Talk About the Bloodbath and Power Transfer in Season Finale
- Deadpool Makes Surprise Appearance in 'X-Men: Apocalypse' Japanese Trailer
- 50 Cent Arrested in the Caribbean for Saying 'Motherf**ker' at Music Festival
- Adele Burps While Taking Selfie With a Fan Onstage. See the Hilarious Video
- Rihanna Previews New Song 'Sledgehammer' From 'Star Trek Beyond'
- Mariah Carey Shows Off Bare Butts at Her DJ Debut in Las Vegas
- Justin Timberlake Attacked by Twitter Users for His Comment on Jesse Williams' BET Awards Speech
- Artist of the Week: Calvin Harris