FX Announces New Channel, Renews 'Justified', and Greenlits New Series
FX is going to broaden its audience by announcing a new channel that is geared toward a younger crowd. At its upfront presentation on Thursday, March 28, the network confirmed its plans to launch FXX on September 2.
As part of the new channel launch, "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia", "The League" and "Legit" will move to FXX in the fall. The three comedies have also received new season orders.
Late night program "Totally Biased with W. Kamau Bell", which will expand to five nights a week, as well as acquired shows like "Freaks & Geeks", "Arrested Development", "Rescue Me", "Sports Night" and "How I Met Your Mother", will also help launch the new channel. A fourth comedy will air on FXX, possibly picked from one of FX's half-hour pilots.
Over at FX, "Justified" has been renewed for a fifth season. It will return to the channel for a new season along with "Sons of Anarchy", "The Americans", "American Horror Story", "Louie", "Archer" and "Wilfred".
FX will additionally present its first limited series. One of them is "Fargo" from MGM Television and the Coen brothers. Based on the 1996 Academy Award-winning movie of the same name, "the series will follow a new case and new characters, all entrenched in the trademark humor, murder and 'Minnesota nice' that has made the film an enduring classic."
"Grand Hotel" from "Skyfall" helmer Sam Mendes, meanwhile, is currently in development at the network. "Mayflower" from Paul Giamatti, "Mad Dogs" from Shawn Ryan, and "Sutton" from Alexander Payne are also currently in development, while new shows "The Bridge", "Tyrant" and "The Strain" will debut later this year.
With the new channel FXX, FX Networks will expand across three networks: FX which focuses on the adults 18-49 demographic, FXX which targets younger adults (18-34) and FXM which is geared toward slightly older crowd (25-54).
"The Bridge" promo:
- Priscilla Presley's Taking Care of Lisa Marie Presley's Twin Girls Amid Nasty Custody Battle
- Pregnant Rosie Huntington-Whiteley Covers Baby Bump in Trench Coat on Lunch Date With Jason Statham
- Fergie Shows Off Pert Derriere in Cheeky Instagram Picture
- George Clooney Finally Opens Up About Amal's Pregnancy
- Adele Named Top Music Legend of the Future
- Taron Egerton Is Seen Filming 'Robin Hood: Origins' in Croatia
- Possible 'Jurassic World 2' Plot Details Revealed
- 'Sherlock' Could Get Axed, Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman's Busy Schedules Are to Blame