Martin Scorsese' 'King of Comedy' to Be Restored for Tribeca Film Festival Closing Night
The Tribeca Film Festival has announced its closing-night film. The fest will restore and screen Martin Scorsese' "The King of Comedy" on April 27 at Tribeca BMCC PAC, thirty years after it was first released in 1983.
"Twelve years ago when we announced the first festival, it was Marty's idea for us to feature restored and rediscovered films," says festival co-founder Jane Rosenthal in a statement. "The King of Comedy was so ahead of its time. It seems more relevant today than it was 30 years ago. We are so grateful to Jim Gianopulos and Regency for helping to restore such an iconic film and ensuring it remains a part of our cultural heritage."
The Film Foundation, Regency Enterprises and 20th Century Fox team up to restore the film. The black comedy movie is being restored digitally 4K from Sony Colorworks' original camera negatives, while John Polito at Audio Mechanics is digitally restoring the soundtrack.
"The King of Comedy" follows stand-up comedian Rupert Pupkin (Robert De Niro) who kidnaps talk show host Jerry Langford (Jerry Lewis) in an attempt to be allowed to perform his routine on Langford's show. Diahnne Abbott and Sandra Bernhard also star in it.
"The fact that it's been restored (after so many years) is even all the better, and I can't wait to see it on our closing night," says De Niro, who is also the festival co-founder.
TFF will run April 17-28.
More Robert De Niro News
- First Look at Lumiere, Cogsworth, Gaston and Le Fou in 'Beauty and the Beast'
- Julianne Hough and Derek Hough to Return for 'DWTS' Season 23
- Sam Mendes in Talks to Direct Disney's 'James and the Giant Peach'
- 'Veep' Star Anna Chlumsky Gives Birth to Her Second Child
- Producer Defends Frank Ocean for Self-Releasing 'Blonde' Album, Slams Def Jam
- Kanye West and Kim Kardashian Give Paparazzi Free Yeezy Sneakers
- Drake Announces Short Movie 'Please Forgive Me' - Get a Sneak Peek Here!
- Katy Perry Feels Sympathy for 'Catfish' Victim Who Thought He Was Dating Her