The Jordanaires' Member Gordon Stoker Dies at 88
Gordon Stoker, a member of vocal group The Jordanaires, passed away at the age of 88 on Wednesday, March 27, in his home in Brentwood. His son Alan said that Gordon passed away after a long illness.
Gordon was in The Jordanaires alongside Neal Matthews Jr., Hoyt Hawkins and Culley Holt. Their vocals are featured in songs that belong to Elvis Presley, Patsy Cline, Jim Reeves, Loretta Lynn, Rick Nelson and many others. Gordon, who joined the group in 1949 as a pianist, later took part as a tenor singer for the group.
An aspiring young singer, Elvis admired the group's vocal when he saw them performing in Memphis. "If I ever get a contract with a major company, I want you guys to back me up," Elvis pledged at that time. In June 1956, Elvis, who was signed with RCA, recorded many of his songs with The Jordanaires as the backing vocalists. The Jordanaires were also featured in soundtrack of his movies in 1960s. The group worked with Elvis until 1970.
The group's voice can be heard in many songs, such as Presley's "Don't Be Cruel" and "Are You Lonesome Tonight," Ferlin Husky's "Gone", Reeves' "Four Walls", Tammy Wynette's "Stand By Your Man", Kenny Rogers' "Lucille", and George Jones' "He Stopped Loving Her Today".
"They were on Grammy-winning recordings in six decades. That started in 1959 with (Johnny Horton's) 'The Battle of New Orleans' and continued through 2007 with an album by Ray Price and Willie Nelson," said Gordon's son, Alan, who is a curator at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum.
"The group is over. It was a wonderful run. My father lived a great life, and left us a great legacy," said Alan. Gordon Stoker is survived by his wife Jean, sons Alan and Brent, daughter Venita and daughter-in-law Jeanne, five grandchildren and one great grandchild.
- Tarek El Moussa Addresses Rumors He Called Estranged Wife Christina a 'Whore'
- George Clooney Writes Touching Tribute to Cousin and 'NCIS: LA' Star Miguel Ferrer Who Dies at 61
- Little Mix Releases Sexy and Colorful Music Video for 'Touch'
- ABC Is Considering 'Black-ish' Spin-Off Starring Yara Shahidi
- Anne Hathaway to Join Rebel Wilson in 'Nasty Women'
- Everyone Loves Chrissy Teigen for Showing Off Her Stretch Marks in New Photo
- Mandy Moore Is Eager to Have Kids 'Sooner Than Later.' Ready to Start a Family?
- Ed Sheeran Wants to Collaborate With Beyonce, Plans Tour in March