MTV Moves 2013 Video Music Awards to Brooklyn for First Time
The 30th annual MTV Video Music Awards will be broadcast live in Brooklyn, New York for the first time. It will be held at the Barclays Center, the new home of the Brooklyn Nets which co-owned by Jay-Z, on Sunday night, August 25 to become the first major annual award show to take place in the borough of Brooklyn.
The network posts a series of pictures showing the iconic Moonman heading from last year's place at the Staples Center in Los Angeles to the new location for the upcoming 2013 MTV VMAs. "And WE'RE HERE! The 2013 @MTV VMAs will be LIVE at @BarclaysCenter on 8/25! #RoadToTheVMAs #HelloBrooklyn."
Since the VMAs was first held in 1984, it has visited major venues in numerous big cities in the States, such as New York City, Miami, El Lay and Las Vegas. For the last three years, the awards show took up residency in L.A. The last time MTV brought the show to NYC was in 2009 at the famed Radio City Music Hall.
"From a vibrant musical scene for up and coming artists to epic concerts by today's biggest stars and the triumphant return of pro sports to the borough after nearly 60 years, Brooklyn has re-emerged as a cultural capitol where music, sports and entertainment history is made every day," said Stephen Friedman, President of MTV. "We can't wait to help write the next chapter on August 25th, when one of the biggest nights in music happens in Brooklyn... for the very first time."
"Brooklyn is home to icons like the Cyclone in Coney Island and the Brooklyn Bridge, and now it can lay claim to the MTV 'Video Music Awards,'" said Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg. "Bringing the VMAs to Brooklyn will mean hundreds of jobs as crews work on the production and provide a boost to our local economy as attendees stay in hotels, visit local eateries and experience all Brooklyn and our City have to offer."
Prior to the VMAs, MTV will first conduct a celebration to the most popular Hollywood films and movie stars at the annual Movie Awards. The event is going to telecast live on April 14 at 9 P.M. from the Sony Pictures Studios Lot in Culver City, Calif., with Rebel Wilson as a host.
- Lee Sung Kyung and Nam Joo Hyuk Are Reportedly Dating
- Jenna Dewan Reportedly Joins Channing Tatum at 'Magic Mike Live' Premiere Due to Trust Issues
- Watch Preview of Ty Dolla $ign and Lil Yachty's Collaboration for 'Beach House 3'
- George and Amal Clooney Reportedly to Spend Over $1 M on a Royal-Like Delivery Experience
- 'Delusional' Drake Is Still Not Over Rihanna, but She Won't Give Him Another Chance
- Perrie Edwards Celebrates Footballer Beau Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain's Win With a Dance
- Kris Jenner Reportedly Planning New Reality Show Featuring Her Grandkids
- Sara Sampaio Exposes Nipples in See-Through Bustier