Robert Redford in Talks to Join S.H.I.E.L.D. in 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier'
"Captain America: The Winter Soldier" could add one prominent movie veteran to its cast ensemble. Deadline broke the news that Robert Redford was in negotiations to appear in the follow-up to "Captain America: The First Avenger" as "a senior leadership role in S.H.I.E.L.D."
It is going to be the Oscar winner's first superhero film throughout his years-long career. He is going to be joined by returning cast Chris Evans as Captain America/Steve Rogers, Sebastian Stan as Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier, and Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury.
S.H.I.E.L.D. is a superhero collective run by Fury with Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Hawkeye, Hulk and Black Widow as its members. Near the end of "The Avengers", Fury reported to a bunch of shadowy faces expected to emerge as a physically present boss of the international espionage agency in the later movie.
Directed by the Russo brothers Anthony and Joe, "The Winter Soldier" is believed to be based on the Captain America plot of the same name. In the present day as Captain America continues his affiliation with Nick Fury and S.H.I.E.L.D. and struggles to embrace his role in the modern world, he finds that his sidekick Bucky is alive saved and deployed by the Soviets as the Winter Soldier.
Redford, 76, received two Oscars, one in 1981 for directing "Ordinary People" and the other for Lifetime Achievement in 2002. The Santa Monica-born actor/director founded the Sundance Film Festival, which began its annual festivity in 1978, and was awarded French Knighthood in 2010.
His overall career was flourishing with the critical and box office hits including the political satire "The Candidate" (1972), the period drama "The Way We Were" (1973), the blockbuster crime caper "The Sting" (1973) for which he was nominated for Best Actor at the Academy Awards.
His most recent project on the big screen was 2012's "The Company You Keep" which stars Shia LaBeouf and Susan Sarandon among others. It was his first starring movie since 2007's "Lions for Lambs" where he pulled a triple duty as a director, producer and cast.
- Lamar Odom Caught Partying With Scantily-Clad Ladies at Strip Club and Smoking Marijuana
- Watch First Trailer for Sundance Hit 'Manchester by the Sea' Starring Casey Affleck
- I'm Guilty! 'Obsessed' Kim Kardashian Admits She Steals Things From Hotels
- Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston Already Have Their First 'Major' Fight - What Is It About?
- Is The Flash Coming to 'Big Bang Theory'?
- Miley Cyrus Reportedly Pays for Everything in Her Relationship With Liam Hemsworth
- Prince William Says He Still Misses Princess Diana Every Day and We Can't Help Tearing Up
- Will X-Men Join Avengers in 'Infinity War'? Here's What Joe Russo Says