Kate Winslet Joins the Cast of 'Divergent'
After a couple of months of negotiations, Summit confirmed on Thursday, March 21 that Kate Winslet was on board to star in "Divergent". In the film based on a young adult fiction novel by Veronica Roth, Winslet will play Jeanine Matthews, the smartest person of Erudite faction who leads the members who devote themselves to a lifelong pursuit of knowledge.
"What can I say? When I found out, I was floored. I grew up watching Kate Winslet in movies, whether it was 'Titanic' or 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' or 'The Reader', and she is an incredible actress, and I am sure that she will be extraordinary as Jeanine. I'm excited to see the complexity and depth she'll bring to the role," Roth wrote on her blog about Winslet's casting.
"Divergent" tells the story of a world in which people are split up into five factions based on personality types, with their jobs, friends, likes, dislikes, and their spouses all selected based on their type. Tris Prior (Shailene Woodley) is warned she is Divergent and will never fit into any group. When she discovers a conspiracy to destroy all Divergents, she must find out what makes being Divergent so dangerous before it's too late.
The film also stars Theo James, Jai Courtney, Zoe Kravitz, Ansel Elgort, and Maggie Q. Aaron Eckhart is reportedly close to sealing a deal to appear in the film. Neil Burger will direct the film based on a script by Vanessa Taylor. "Divergent" will start filming in Chicago in April for U.S. release on March 21, 2014.
- Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth Are Reportedly Trying for Twins
- Kim Kardashian Is Jealous of Kourtney's Banging Bikini Body
- From Jail to Cannes! 'Hot Felon' Jeremy Meeks Partying With Nicki Minaj at amfAR Gala
- Your Favorite 'Game of Thrones' Stars Will Get More Screen Time in Season 7
- Kylie Jenner Reportedly Pregnant With Travis Scott's Baby
- Leonardo DiCaprio Mingles With Bella Hadid in Cannes, Sparks Romance Rumors
- See Ben Affleck Hilariously Imitating Christian Bale's Batman for Red Nose Day
- Zayn Malik Regrets His 'Fifty Shades' Duet With Taylor Swift