Yoko Ono Uses Pic of John Lennon's Blood-Stained Glasses to Show Support for Gun Control
Yoko Ono has taken to Twitter to raise public awareness of gun violence issue. On March 20, the peace activist sent a series of tweets that included an image of the blood-stained glasses her late husband John Lennon wore when he was shot dead by Mark Chapman 32 years ago.
Each tweet Ono wrote contains different statement speaking out against gun violence. "Over 1,057,000 people have been killed by guns in the U.S.A. since John Lennon was shot and killed on December 8, 1980," the first tweet, which was retweeted by president Barack Obama, read.
The artist revealed another shocking statistic concerning gun violence in America. She wrote, "31,537 people are killed by guns in the USA every year. We are turning this beautiful country into war zone." The 80-year-old musician then encouraged her followers to "bring back America, the green land of peace."
March 20 marked the 44th anniversary of Ono's marriage with Lennon. She informed her followers that the memory of her deceased husband had always lingered in her mind. "The death of a loved one is a hollowing experience. After 33 years our son Sean and I still miss him. Yoko Ono Lennon," she wrote.
Since the 1960s, Ono has been an activist for peace and human rights. Her contribution to the gun control debate is notable following the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut in December 2012 in which 20 young children were killed.
- 'The Leftovers' Series Finale Preview: The End Is Here
- Green Power Ranger Depicter Jason David Frank Addresses Assassination Attempt
- Artist of the Week: Halsey
- Kourtney Kardashian Bans Scott Disick From Seeing Their Children Until He Sobers Up
- Prince William and Kate Middleton's Housekeeper Quits as Job Is 'Too Demanding'
- 'The Walking Dead' EP Shares Alleged Season 8 Behind-the-Scenes Video
- Teyana Taylor Previews R-Rated Clip for New Single 'Drippin' Ft. Migos
- Colton Haynes and Fiance Jeff Leatham Get Engaged Again. See Their Matching Rings