Shailene Woodley Cast as Cancer Patient Hazel in Drama 'Fault in Our Stars'
Shailene Woodley landed another big role. After picked to bring Mary-Jane Watson to life in "The Amazing Spider-Man 2", she is now tapped to play the lead female, Hazel, in "The Fault in Our Stars", a movie based on John Green's best-selling novel of the same name.
It revolves round 16-year-old Hazel Grace Lancaster who falls in love with Augustus "Gus" Waters, a boy she met at a cancer support group. The story will be adapted into the big screen with the help of "Stuck in Love" helmer Josh Boone and "Twilight Saga" producer Wyck Godfrey.
"During our exhaustive search to find Hazel Grace Lancaster, I saw some stunning auditions by today's finest young actresses," Boone tells EW. "Over 250 girls read for the part, but it wasn't until Shailene stepped in front of the camera that I truly saw Hazel for the first time. It was like lightning striking. I can't wait for the rest of the world to see what I have."
Godfrey adds, "When choosing the writers, director and now our first actor for Fault we've gone with the people that have had the strongest, most emotional and insightful connection to the material. Shailene's love of the book and dedication to the character was evident in not only her pursuit of the role but her delivery of the essence of Hazel in her audition. I have no doubt that she will deliver a Hazel that will floor both fans of the book and those who have yet to be introduced to the transcendent story of The Fault in Our Stars."
"Fault in Out Stars" and "Amazing Spider-Man 2" are not the only projects Woodley has up her sleeve. The 21-year-old brunette beauty will also film science fiction/dystopian "Divergent", another movie adapted from a book. She will be portraying the main heroine Beatrice Prior.
Meanwhile, there's no word on who will be playing Gus opposite Woodley in "Fault in Out Stars".
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll in Sam Phillips Biopic
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sell Their Chateau Miraval in France Amid Divorce
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences