Disney on Board to Reboot 'Pete's Dragon'
Walt Disney Pictures is set to reboot the 1977 classic live action mixed with animation movie, "Pete's Dragon". Deadline broke the news that the studio and producer Jim Whitaker had hired David Lowery and Toby Halbrooks to co-pen the screenplay.
The writers are expected to reinvent the core of the original story. At this point, it is unknown whether the cartoon dragon, Elliot, will stick to his hand-drawn roots or be CGI. However, it is said that unlike the original movie, the reboot won't be a musical.
The original movie stars Sean Marshall, Mickey Rooney, Red Buttons and Shelley Winters and tells the tale of an orphan named Pete (Marshall) who teams with his friend, a magical dragon named Elliott, to escape his abusive adoptive parents.
David Lowery made a major splash at the 2013 Sundance Film Festival with his debut film "Ain't Them Bodies Saints". He directed and wrote the film that won the cinematography award at the film festival in addition to receiving plenty of critical praise. The film stars Rooney Mara, Rami Malek, Casey Affleck and Ben Foster.
- Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo Are Asked to Tie the Knot at 'DotS' Theme Park
- New Couple Alert! Brooklyn Beckham and Madison Beer Are Dating
- 'Gambit' Is Being Reworked Following Success of 'Deadpool' and 'Logan'
- Rob Kardashian Returns to Twitter to Post Photo of Daughter Dream
- 'Home Alone' Actor John Heard Dies at 72
- Comic-Con: 'The Walking Dead' First Season 8 Trailer Teases Major Time Jump
- Jeremy Meeks and Chloe Green Make Out During L.A. Coffee Run: We Are in Love
- Beyonce's Madame Tussauds Wax Figure 'Adjusted' After Whitewashing Controversy