Disney on Board to Reboot 'Pete's Dragon'
Walt Disney Pictures is set to reboot the 1977 classic live action mixed with animation movie, "Pete's Dragon". Deadline broke the news that the studio and producer Jim Whitaker had hired David Lowery and Toby Halbrooks to co-pen the screenplay.
The writers are expected to reinvent the core of the original story. At this point, it is unknown whether the cartoon dragon, Elliot, will stick to his hand-drawn roots or be CGI. However, it is said that unlike the original movie, the reboot won't be a musical.
The original movie stars Sean Marshall, Mickey Rooney, Red Buttons and Shelley Winters and tells the tale of an orphan named Pete (Marshall) who teams with his friend, a magical dragon named Elliott, to escape his abusive adoptive parents.
David Lowery made a major splash at the 2013 Sundance Film Festival with his debut film "Ain't Them Bodies Saints". He directed and wrote the film that won the cinematography award at the film festival in addition to receiving plenty of critical praise. The film stars Rooney Mara, Rami Malek, Casey Affleck and Ben Foster.
- Lisa Marie Presley's Kids in State Custody After Indecent Child Pics Found on Ex's Computer
- Samuel L. Jackson Hints at Nick Fury's Appearance in 'Captain Marvel'
- Aaron Carter Responds to Racism Accusation After Onstage Brawl
- Angelina Jolie Takes Her 6 Kids to Cambodia Amid Brad Pitt Divorce and Custody Drama
- Zoe Saldana Gives Birth to Baby No. 3 With Marco Perego
- Royal Showdown! Kate Middleton Reportedly Feuding With Meghan Markle
- Camila Cabello Is 'Dying' to Enlist Taylor Swift for Debut Solo Album
- Donald Glover to Play Simba in 'The Lion King' Remake