Disney on Board to Reboot 'Pete's Dragon'
Walt Disney Pictures is set to reboot the 1977 classic live action mixed with animation movie, "Pete's Dragon". Deadline broke the news that the studio and producer Jim Whitaker had hired David Lowery and Toby Halbrooks to co-pen the screenplay.
The writers are expected to reinvent the core of the original story. At this point, it is unknown whether the cartoon dragon, Elliot, will stick to his hand-drawn roots or be CGI. However, it is said that unlike the original movie, the reboot won't be a musical.
The original movie stars Sean Marshall, Mickey Rooney, Red Buttons and Shelley Winters and tells the tale of an orphan named Pete (Marshall) who teams with his friend, a magical dragon named Elliott, to escape his abusive adoptive parents.
David Lowery made a major splash at the 2013 Sundance Film Festival with his debut film "Ain't Them Bodies Saints". He directed and wrote the film that won the cinematography award at the film festival in addition to receiving plenty of critical praise. The film stars Rooney Mara, Rami Malek, Casey Affleck and Ben Foster.
More Pete's Dragon News
- Find Out How Jaden Smith Tricked His Dad Will Smith Into Letting Him Drink on His Birthday
- Jean-Claude Van Damme Walks Out of TV Interview After Reporter Asks This Question
- Matt Damon Will Take a Break From Acting Next Year
- Kanye West Launches Twitter Rants About Apple and Tidal Beef
- Tyler Posey Clarifies 'I Am Gay' Snapchat Video, Apologizes for Fake Coming Out
- Nick Jonas Offered $2 Million to Perform at RNC
- Director Paul Feig Slams Sony for Deleting 'Ghostbusters' Pro-Hillary Tweet
- 'Game of Thrones' Set to End With Season 8, Spin-Off Plan Confirmed