Disney on Board to Reboot 'Pete's Dragon'
Walt Disney Pictures is set to reboot the 1977 classic live action mixed with animation movie, "Pete's Dragon". Deadline broke the news that the studio and producer Jim Whitaker had hired David Lowery and Toby Halbrooks to co-pen the screenplay.
The writers are expected to reinvent the core of the original story. At this point, it is unknown whether the cartoon dragon, Elliot, will stick to his hand-drawn roots or be CGI. However, it is said that unlike the original movie, the reboot won't be a musical.
The original movie stars Sean Marshall, Mickey Rooney, Red Buttons and Shelley Winters and tells the tale of an orphan named Pete (Marshall) who teams with his friend, a magical dragon named Elliott, to escape his abusive adoptive parents.
David Lowery made a major splash at the 2013 Sundance Film Festival with his debut film "Ain't Them Bodies Saints". He directed and wrote the film that won the cinematography award at the film festival in addition to receiving plenty of critical praise. The film stars Rooney Mara, Rami Malek, Casey Affleck and Ben Foster.
- 'Fate of the Furious' Will Start a New Trilogy, Vin Diesel Says
- Nicki Minaj Flaunts Her Body in Gucci Mane's 'Make Love' Music Video
- See David Beckham's Face Ruined for 'King Arthur' Movie!
- Lamar Odom Admits to Drugs Abuse and Multiple Affairs During Khloe Kardashian Marriage
- Pennywise the Clown Preys on Kids in 'It' Teaser Trailer
- Portia de Rossi Wants Ellen DeGeneres to Enter Rehab
- Kelly Ripa Involved in Drug Overdose Scandal
- Justin Timberlake Teases His Upcoming Collab With Timbaland and Pharrell