David Hasselhoff Campaigns Against the Demolition of the Berlin Wall
David Hasselhoff captured Berliners' hearts as he returned to the Berlin Wall and carried out a mission on March 17. The actor specially came to the site to help the citizens save the remaining part of the famous wall.
"This last piece of the wall is really sacred," Hasselhoff said in front of his fellow protesters regarding the 3/4-mile stretch of wall that has been painted by artists. "It's the last memorial to the people who died and to the perseverance of freedom."
The 60-year-old actor said that plans to demolish part of the wall were as outrageous as destroying the Ground Zero memorial to the victims of the September 11 attacks in New York.
Hasselhoff promised to help the campaigners stop the demolition of the remains, saying, "If it goes to the next step, we'll come back with a huge concert and really rock Berlin." Lutz Leichsenring, a spokesman for the Berlin Club Commission, revealed another aid offered by the "Knight Rider" star, saying, "We've talked with him about creating an online platform to raise legal fees to fight the development."
The angry protests sparked after real estate developer Living Bauhaus planned to move part of the wall to make way for an access path for a luxury housing development. Demolition work on the site was suspended this month after protesters formed a human chain in front of it.
Hasselhoff has an intimate connection to the East Side Gallery of Berlin. On New Year's Eve 1989, The Hoff sang his song "Looking for Freedom" shortly after the wall dividing East and West Germany was torn down. The song has become the symbol of German reunification and the fall of communism in Europe and made the American actor famous there.
- Stephen Colbert to Host 2017 Emmy Awards
- Justin Bieber Shaves His Head Again - Is It Because of Selena Gomez?
- Joanna Krupa Causes Internet Frenzy After Seemingly Posing Fully-Naked
- David Ayer Regrets That Joker Is Not 'Suicide Squad' Main Villain
- Robin Excitedly Tries on Different Costumes in First 'Lego Batman Movie' Clip
- Kendall Jenner Flashes Her Breasts in Sheer Top While Strolling Around Paris
- Kanye West Reportedly Ready to Continue His Canceled 'Saint Pablo' Tour
- Chelsea Clinton Branded Hypocrite After Defending Barron Trump From Cyberbullies