David Hasselhoff Campaigns Against the Demolition of the Berlin Wall
David Hasselhoff captured Berliners' hearts as he returned to the Berlin Wall and carried out a mission on March 17. The actor specially came to the site to help the citizens save the remaining part of the famous wall.
"This last piece of the wall is really sacred," Hasselhoff said in front of his fellow protesters regarding the 3/4-mile stretch of wall that has been painted by artists. "It's the last memorial to the people who died and to the perseverance of freedom."
The 60-year-old actor said that plans to demolish part of the wall were as outrageous as destroying the Ground Zero memorial to the victims of the September 11 attacks in New York.
Hasselhoff promised to help the campaigners stop the demolition of the remains, saying, "If it goes to the next step, we'll come back with a huge concert and really rock Berlin." Lutz Leichsenring, a spokesman for the Berlin Club Commission, revealed another aid offered by the "Knight Rider" star, saying, "We've talked with him about creating an online platform to raise legal fees to fight the development."
The angry protests sparked after real estate developer Living Bauhaus planned to move part of the wall to make way for an access path for a luxury housing development. Demolition work on the site was suspended this month after protesters formed a human chain in front of it.
Hasselhoff has an intimate connection to the East Side Gallery of Berlin. On New Year's Eve 1989, The Hoff sang his song "Looking for Freedom" shortly after the wall dividing East and West Germany was torn down. The song has become the symbol of German reunification and the fall of communism in Europe and made the American actor famous there.
- 'Homeland' Finds Its Female President in 'House of Cards' Star
- Lindsay Lohan's Father Confirms She Told Him She's Pregnant
- Beyonce and 4-Year-Old Blue Ivy Play Twinsie in Cute Pictures
- Shonda Rhimes Denies 'GMA' Report That 'Scandal' Is Ending With Season 6
- Ellen Pompeo Admits She Stays on 'Grey's Anatomy' Because of Her Age
- James McAvoy Is a Psychopath in 'Split' Trailer
- Kristen Stewart 'So Much Happier' With Girlfriend Alicia Cargile Than With Any Man
- Watch: Elizabeth Banks, Idina Menzel and More Stars Cover 'Fight Song' for Hillary Clinton