Michelle Shocked Stuns San Francisco Show Audience With Anti-Gay Rant
Grammy-nominated folk singer and born-again Christian Michelle Shocked surprised people who came to see her live performance San Francisco on Sunday night, March 16 by unleashing an anti-gay rant on her show. The crowd not only got to hear the 51-year-old singer/songwriter's music but also got a "shock" from Shocked, who urged them to promote Proposition 8, California's contested ban on same-sex marriage.
"When they stop Prop 8 and force priests at gunpoint to marry gays, it will be the downfall of civilization, and Jesus will come back," Shocked told fans at Yoshi's. "You are going to leave here and tell people, 'Michelle Shocked said God hates f*****s,' " she summoned the audience members.
Shocked's now ex-fans indeed followed what she had asked them to, first to leave with most of them walking out of the concert after being turned off by the performer's remarks, and second to tell people, which they did via Twitter. One concertgoer tweeted, "Wow, she's a total bigot and said so on stage. It was unreal. We had to leave. I am so disappointed."
Not only did the fans become upset but also Yoshi's management. They cut off her microphone and turned off the stage lights after declaring that the show was cut short, right after Shocked made her comments.
"This was Michelle Shock's third visit to Yoshi's San Francisco; her first was March 2009. She has never given any indication that she is anti-gay or racist in her previous plays. She obviously has some serious issues and unfortunately chose our venue to vent them," Derek Hunter, Yoshi's artistic director addressed the incident in a press statement.
To denounce Shocked's anti-gay rant, Yoshi's tweeted it would not invite the entertainer ever again to their club. "We at Yoshi's SF do not & will not ever tolerate the type of bigotry & hatred exhibited last night by @MShocked. She will never be back," they stated.
In addition to the backlash, Shocked's upcoming shows on March 29 at the Hopmonk Tavern in nearby Novato and in May at eTown Hall have been canceled.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Do Have a Pre-Nup. So, Who's the Big Winner?
- 'Thor: Ragnarok': 'Jurassic Park' Star Sam Neill Reveals His Secret Role
- Lindsay Lohan's Ex Egor Denies He's Broke and Let Her Pay for Everything While Still Dating
- 'Last Man on Earth' Premiere Features Surprise Cameo, Stages Mini 'Mad Men' Reunion
- Blac Chyna's Mom Scolds Rob Kardashian, Fears He Will 'Ruin' Their Relationship
- Drake Depicts Violence, Gets Steamy With a Girl in New 'Please Forgive Me' Short Film
- Kendall and Kylie Jenner Get Matching Ferraris. But Why Is One Sister Left Embarrassed?
- Angelina Jolie Reportedly Turns to Johnny Depp Amid Brad Pitt Divorce