Director David Goyer to Remake 'Count of Monte Cristo'
David S. Goyer is tapped to modernize the famous Alexandre Dumas story, "The Count of Monte Cristo", in a remake project developed by Constantin Films. The comic book writer will serve as a director with "Resident Evil" producer Jeremy Bolt producing the movie.
Goyer is no stranger to remaking fabled stories. He once penned the story of "The Dark Knight Rises" with Christopher Nolan. He's also credited for writing a screenplay for "Man of Steel", the new take on another DC Comics' superhero Superman co-produced by Nolan as well.
Constantin also has history of giving a modern spin on a literary classic. In 2011, the studio was involved in rebooting another of Dumas' popular story, "The Three Musketeers", with the help from director Paul W.S. Anderson. Though the movie was not really a favorite domestically but it performed quite well internationally.
"Count of Monte Cristo" is a revenge tale originally set in early 19th century France. It revolves around Edmond Dantes who's jailed for a crime he didn't do. After getting out of prison after so many years, he came back in Paris society determined to seek revenge on his enemies.
The latest big-screen treatment given to the story happened in 2002. "Hatfields & McCoys" helmer Kevin Reynolds directed the film with Richard Harris, Guy Pearce and Luis Guzman on the cast ensemble. The classic story also inspired ABC's drama series "Revenge" with a female taking the lead role.
In the upcoming movie, Michael Robert Johnson who's tasked to write Constantin's in-production film "Pompeii" is signed on to pen the script. A source tells The Hollywood Reporter that the "Monte Cristo" remake is dubbed the "19th century Dark Knight" due to Goyer's involvement in Nolan's Batman trilogy.
"During my career I've enjoyed re-invigorating and contextualizing classic characters that are relatable to contemporary audiences," the director says in a statement. "Michael has written an excellent script, and I'm going to enjoy bringing our take of the rich and textured world of Monte Cristo to the big screen."
Besides being busy with his big-screen projects, Goyer also shepherds a TV thriller "Da Vinci's Demons". The Starz historical fantasy will explore the untold story of Leonardo da Vinci's early life in Florence and will premiere April 12.
- Kylie Jenner Awkwardly Gets Turned Down When Trying to Carry Tyga's Son King Cairo
- Mandy Moore and Milo Ventimiglia Share Adorable 'This Is Us' Family Photos. See Who's Missing
- Ryan Reynolds Wants 'Deadpool' / 'Wolverine' Crossover to Happen
- Kanye West Sports Wedding Ring While Riding BMX Amid Kim Kardashian Divorce Rumors
- Watch Hailee Steinfeld, Fifth Harmony and More Perform at the 2016 Billboard Women in Music
- Reese Witherspoon Teams Up With Nick Kroll for EDM Rendition of 'Shake It Off'
- 'Puff the Magic Dragon' Gets Live-Action/Animated Hybrid Movie
- Mila Kunis Shows Impressive Post-Baby Body After Giving Birth to Son Dimitri