Justin Timberlake and Prince Close SXSW 2013 on Separate Venues
The last day of the SXSW music showcase was highlighted by two major acts, Justin Timberlake and Prince. The former rocked the Coppertank Events Center for an hour and a half at a MySpace-sponsored intimate gig, while the latter took the stage a few blocks away in Austin at the club La Zona Rosa in a show that stretched to two hours and 40 minutes.
JT's performance was preceded by a DJ set by Questlove. The Roots' member warmed up the crowd with an appetizing mix of current hits ranging from Baauer's "Harlem Shake", Michael Jackson's "PYT", Kanye West's "Power" and Lil Wayne's "A Milli" before the MySpace most-famous investor appeared on stage for the much-awaited set of the night.
The former NSYNC boybander was backed by 16-piece band as he took the mic singing his hit singles like "Like I Love You", "My Love" and "Cry Me a River". He gave special treats to his SXSW deliveries by inserting a line of two from Juicy J's "Bands a Make Her Dance", Kanye and Jay-Z's "Ni**as In Paris", and Trinidad James' "All Gold Everything".
Even with more than 700 fans flocking to the venue, Timberlake felt the crowd was only "turned up to 82 percent." So to bring it to the maximum, he performed his new song "Pusher Love Girl". "You at 91 percent now," he said afterwards. "How do we get this to 100?" he asked before launching into more songs. He tripped over his words at one point, which he simply laughed off as joking, "I'm on drugs."
Elsewhere at a larger venue, Prince hosted a music party, opened by A Tribe Called Quest, with 22-piece band as he delivered his wide array of singles. "Don't make me hurt you - you know how many hits I have?" he cheekily warned concertgoers. Not only did he sing his own tracks including the famous "Purple Rain" but he also covered Curtis Mayfield, MJ and Janet Jackson.
More Justin Timberlake News
- Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo Are Asked to Tie the Knot at 'DotS' Theme Park
- New Couple Alert! Brooklyn Beckham and Madison Beer Are Dating
- 'Gambit' Is Being Reworked Following Success of 'Deadpool' and 'Logan'
- Rob Kardashian Returns to Twitter to Post Photo of Daughter Dream
- 'Home Alone' Actor John Heard Dies at 72
- Comic-Con: 'The Walking Dead' First Season 8 Trailer Teases Major Time Jump
- Jeremy Meeks and Chloe Green Make Out During L.A. Coffee Run: We Are in Love
- Beyonce's Madame Tussauds Wax Figure 'Adjusted' After Whitewashing Controversy