Justin Timberlake and Prince Close SXSW 2013 on Separate Venues
The last day of the SXSW music showcase was highlighted by two major acts, Justin Timberlake and Prince. The former rocked the Coppertank Events Center for an hour and a half at a MySpace-sponsored intimate gig, while the latter took the stage a few blocks away in Austin at the club La Zona Rosa in a show that stretched to two hours and 40 minutes.
JT's performance was preceded by a DJ set by Questlove. The Roots' member warmed up the crowd with an appetizing mix of current hits ranging from Baauer's "Harlem Shake", Michael Jackson's "PYT", Kanye West's "Power" and Lil Wayne's "A Milli" before the MySpace most-famous investor appeared on stage for the much-awaited set of the night.
The former NSYNC boybander was backed by 16-piece band as he took the mic singing his hit singles like "Like I Love You", "My Love" and "Cry Me a River". He gave special treats to his SXSW deliveries by inserting a line of two from Juicy J's "Bands a Make Her Dance", Kanye and Jay-Z's "Ni**as In Paris", and Trinidad James' "All Gold Everything".
Even with more than 700 fans flocking to the venue, Timberlake felt the crowd was only "turned up to 82 percent." So to bring it to the maximum, he performed his new song "Pusher Love Girl". "You at 91 percent now," he said afterwards. "How do we get this to 100?" he asked before launching into more songs. He tripped over his words at one point, which he simply laughed off as joking, "I'm on drugs."
Elsewhere at a larger venue, Prince hosted a music party, opened by A Tribe Called Quest, with 22-piece band as he delivered his wide array of singles. "Don't make me hurt you - you know how many hits I have?" he cheekily warned concertgoers. Not only did he sing his own tracks including the famous "Purple Rain" but he also covered Curtis Mayfield, MJ and Janet Jackson.
More Justin Timberlake News
- Marriage on the Rocks? Hugh Jackman and Deborra-Lee Furness Are Living 'Separate Lives'
- Oscars 2017: 'Zootopia' Is Best Animated Feature, 'Hacksaw Ridge' Already Wins Two
- Oscars 2017: Lin-Manuel Miranda Cries Over Surprise 'Moana' Mash-Up Cover by 'Hamilton' Cast
- 'Aliens' Actor Bill Paxton Dies at 61, Celebs Pay Tribute on Twitter
- Oscars 2017: Justin Timberlake Gets the Party Started With Lively Performance
- Does Caitlyn Jenner Have a New Girlfriend?
- Oscars 2017: Justin Timberlake Photobombs Jessica Biel and Emma Stone
- Oscars 2017: Viola Davis Wins Best Supporting Actress