Country Music Singer Jack Greene, 83, Dies From Complications of Alzheimer's Disease
Country music world lost another one of its great singers, Jack Greene. The Jolly Green Giant passed away from complications of Alzheimer's disease. He died peacefully in his sleep at his home in Nashville, Tennessee, the Grand Ole Opry announces on its official website. He was 83.
Greene had been a member of the Opry, a sign of elite status in the industry, since 1967. He died Thursday, March 14, only two months after his 83rd birthday during which he still performed in fine voice for his friends despite his loss of memory and health.
"The Opry family has lost a valued member," the group said on its Facebook page. "Thank you Jack Greene for years of great music and memories. Prayers with his loved ones today."
Starting his career at 17, Greene got his first big break as a drummer for Ernest Tubb's band and later served as an opening act for the band due to his impressive skills as a vocalist and guitarist. He eventually released his first solo single "The Last Letter", in 1964.
He scored his first hit two years later through "Ever Since My Baby Went Away". In the same year, his album "There Goes My Everything" became the top country album for an entire year. His chart success was followed by his big wins at the inaugural Country Music Association Awards in 1967 for Male Vocalist of the Year, Single of the Year, Album of the Year, and Song of the Year.
Throughout his years-long career, Greene topped the U.S. country song charts nine times and ruled the album chart twice. The title track of his album "There Goes My Everything" has been covered many times by artists with different genres of music, including Elvis Presley.
Funeral arrangement is yet to be announced.
- Priyanka Chopra Throws Her Hat Into the Ring to Be Female James Bond
- Listen to a Preview of Shawn Mendes' New Song 'Better'
- Elijah Wood Clarifies Comment on Child Sex Abuse in Hollywood, Says It's Misinterpreted
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss Confirms Someone's Getting Married in Season 7
- Anne Hathaway Throws Shade at the Kardashians, Says It's Unintentional
- Eminem Sells Bricks of His Childhood Home for 'Marshall Mathers LP' Anniversary
- Did Jennifer Lawrence Just Say She Was Under the Influence While Filming 'The Hunger Games'?
- Helen Hunt Mistaken for Jodie Foster by Starbucks Barista. Read the Funny Story