Kim Zolciak Reacts to Kandi Burruss' Lawsuit Over 'Tardy for the Party' Song
Kim Zolciak fires back at former "The Real Housewives of Atlanta" co-star Kandi Burruss who accuses Kim of unlawfully licensing, distributing and selling "Tardy for the Party", a song Kandi co-wrote. Kim calls Kandi's copyright infringement lawsuit a sad cry for attention.
Kandi and songwriter Rodney Richard claimed they were denied royalties of the dance track Kim released in 2009. In the lawsuit filed Tuesday, March 12 in U.S. District Court in Georgia, they asked Kim to provide a complete accounting of all "substantial profits and ill-gotten gains" from the single.
E! News reports the plaintiffs are seeking an injunction preventing all further sales of the song, all the money they feel Kim owed them, as well as damages for copyright infringement, unauthorized use/unjust enrichment and accounting/constructive trust.
In response, Kim tweeted in a series of messages, "I don't owe kandi a dime in fact I overpaid her! #fact #gotthedocstoproveit. If I owed her money why did she do another song! #GTFOH. Kandi tried to pull the song down in Dec on iTunes but after I showed documents and proved points song was immediately put back up."
She added in a statement to TooFab, "This is nothing short of a publicity stunt, I find this lawsuit funny yet sad. Coming after me now and this song is 4 years old? I have in fact overpaid Kandi and have documents to prove it and my legal team will handle this accordingly."
Her lawyer Darrell Miller echoed her statement, "I cannot imagine itâ��s anything more than a publicity stunt as it doesnâ��t appear to be enough money at issue to make a case."
Kandi is a former Xscape member whose songwriting credits include TLC's "No Scrubs" and Destiny's Child "Bills, Bills, Bills". She is having a new reality show "The Kandi Factory" coming up soon.
Kim is also gearing up to premiere "Don't Be Tardy for the Wedding", a spin-off show after leaving "Real Housewives". Premiered April 16, it documents her wedding preparations with then-fiance, Atlanta Falcons American football player Kroy Biermann.
- New 'Doctor Who' Season 10 Trailer Features New Companion
- Oscars 2017 Winner List: Emma Stone Wins Best Actress, 'Moonlight' Is Best Picture
- Nicki Minaj and Trey Songz Involved in Twitter Feud After Remy Ma's Diss Track
- Oscars 2017: 'La La Land' Wins Big, Casey Affleck Is Best Actor
- Remy Ma Calls Out Nicki Minaj on New Diss Track 'ShETHER'
- Beast Is Kicked Out of Castle by Gaston in 'Beauty and the Beast' Academy Awards TV Spot
- Marriage on the Rocks? Hugh Jackman and Deborra-Lee Furness Are Living 'Separate Lives'
- Oscars 2017: 'Zootopia' Is Best Animated Feature, 'Hacksaw Ridge' Already Wins Two