Ang Lee to Direct Drama Pilot 'Tyrant' From 'Homeland' Team
Ang Lee has snagged his first television gig, a month after getting Best Director prize for his work on "Life of Pi" at the Acamedy Awards. The Taiwanese-born American filmmaker is on board to helm FX's pilot "Tyrant".
The drama project from "Homeland" producers Howard Gordon and Gideon Raff as well as "Lost" writer Craig Wright revolves around an unassuming American family drawn into the workings of a turbulent Middle Eastern nation. Raff penned the script.
"Ang Lee has demonstrated time and again an ability to present characters with such depth and specificity that they reveal the universal human condition," says John Landgraf, President and General Manager of FX Networks. "No one could be a more perfect film maker to bring Howard Gordon, Gideon Raff, and Craig Wright's Tyrant to indelible life."
Bert Salke, President of Fox 21 which will produce the show, chimes in, "The fact that the brilliant Ang Lee has signed on to direct his first project for television speaks to the extraordinary nature of 'Tyrant'. Ang Lee, Gideon Raff, Craig Wright and Howard Gordon are master storytellers at the height of their powers, and the material is incredible. We can't wait to get started."
Lee will head to Morocco this summer to film the drama pilot. He will be credited as an executive producer should "Tyrant" get picked up to series.
"Life of Pi" is not the only notable work by Lee. He was also named Oscars' Best Director in 2005 for helming "Brokeback Mountain", and was nominated in the same category in 2000 through his work on "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon".
- Report: Emma Watson Getting Married in Big Sur This Summer
- See Hilarious Horror-Themed Memes of Trump's Awkward Photo With Pope Francis
- New Beau? Mischa Barton Caught Getting Handsy With Mystery Man in Cannes
- HBO Renews 'Veep' and 'Silicon Valley' for 2017-2018 Seasons
- Kris Planning 'Revenge Memoir' About Caitlyn Jenner
- Jenelle Evans 'Devastated' After Losing Custody Battle to Mom Over Son Jace
- Batman Teams Up With a Supervillain in 'Batman and Harley Quinn' Trailer
- Bella Hadid Suffers Another Wardrobe Malfunction in High-Slit Dress at amfAR Gala